Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do you think I should start making FF cultures before I get frogs to get the hang of it, and prevent crashes?

a month, two months?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Depending on the type of media you use, you will be looking at a week turn-around from the time you place the flies in the containers, until you have a booming culture imo. I would say plan on creating the cultures three weeks in advance to be sure you have some booming cultures by the time the frogs arrive. After the frogs arrive, make new cultures once a week with fresh flies from the booming cultures you already set up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
2-3 weeks should be fine. The flies can reproduce within 48 hours of hatching out and they have a life span of about 10 days. So if you don't make them when you can feed from them after they start booming...you end up with dead flies....overcrowding....and usually mold regardless of a mold inhibitor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2-3 weeks should be fine. The flies can reproduce within 48 hours of hatching out and they have a life span of about 10 days. So if you don't make them when you can feed from them after they start booming...you end up with dead flies....overcrowding....and usually mold regardless of a mold inhibitor.
This is why I say about three weeks. If you set up cultures a month or two in advance, you end up with all of these problems without having anything to feed them out to.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If you aren't in a huge hurry to get frogs, then maybe start making cultures a couple of months in advance. There are three main reasons for this: 1. So you can really get a handle on making cultures, 2. So you can see how cultures respond to the conditions in your home ( i.e. find a sweet spot for best production, sometimes one side of a room dries cultures out faster than another etc...), 3. So you will have plenty of flies ready for when you get the frogs. If you make 2 cultures from each booming culture, you will have plenty of good cultures within a couple of months.
Yes you will have "wasted" cultures, but a little experimentation without the worry of feeding frogs may be for the best. If you are doing hydei you may want to plan on a little more time, melanogaster you may not need as much time. Why rush it...get a handle on something that frustrates many beginners (myself included) and skip the experience of trying to tap every single fly out of a good culture while waiting for a shipment. Can't hurt to be too prepared or experienced.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hmm, seems like from what you all say a month in advance would work...
Yes, a month is good. If you have any fish (aquaruims) they love fruit flies. When I have too many flies at once and need to feed off some, I will feed my community/cichlids. They go nuts!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My cultures (after the mite fiasco) are lasting with good to great production 3 -4 weeks. I always make as many cultures as I have vivs every initial boom of a new culture. This means I make 3-4 cultures every 12-14 days. This seems to be working good for me. I have moved my FF operation to wire shelving(not to mention started fresh with all new containers, etc), and it has helped tremendously.

JBear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts