Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its done, but not quite, I actually have to redo the whole thing because I knocked the bulkhead (used for draining) out of place when I was arranging it, so I have to got back through and redo the whole thing, its probably a good thing because the bulkhead was HUGE.

Any one have any ideas on what to use? I had some tubing attached to PVC things and then screwed into a valve. With a cap holding it in place. The hole is 1/2" and in the center of the tank (it came like that).

Anyways what do you think? Its going to house two D. auratus. I have some selaginella that is going in and the tillandsias are already in place. The sundew, in the plastic container is coming out, but I am going to place some of the live moss from the container into the viv. The driftwood was collected locally and the fungus is a turkey tail (Trametes versicolor) that I have had for about 6 months, and after thorough testing I am convinced that it will hold up in the viv. I completely forgot to plumb in a air hose into the false bottom so Im probably going to have to do water changes at least once a month once it is established, probably sooner. The cork bark was all one peice but I broke it up so that I didn't have any huge gaps for prey or even frogs to find their way into.

This is my third viv, but first for a dart frog.

Enjoy 8)

G

·
Looks good is there a water feature or just a pond? In my experience the tillandsandia (sp?) will do great for a while but due to the high humidty, unless u provide alot of ventelation will eventually rot out. Also im not sure if that sun dew will survive. It looks like the ones i have from LOwes or home depot and i believ that they need a dormancy in winter. Maybe someone with more experience should coment. Other than that add some plants and that tank will look awsome! The mushroom thing on the cork, did u get it from black jungle? how do u like it I was thinking of gettin a couple.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on getting many more plants :p

Its unplanted because I have to redo the whole thing due to the bulkhead incident. :(

The tillandsias are not permanantly mounted, in case they aren't suitable. In my experience the T. Bulbosa does very well in high humidity. Not sure of the others though.

The sundew isnt going to be in the viv, and I did get it from Lowes, I just have it in there now for b/c I want to get some of the live sphangum out and put it in.

No water feature, just a pond.

I got the mushroom from the wild, and so far so good, I put it through some testing and it held up just fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
amphibianfreak said:
By the way, is that a heat light? If it is maybe that's why your tank looks so dry.
Its dry b/c I haven't added the water b/c my bulkhead broke. And I dont have the lid (acrylic) on there b/c I left it at my parents house. The substrate is still dry, I haven't even misted it yet. THe whole thing has to be redone tonight.

The light is just a spiral fluro.

G

·
have you checked the temp inside yet? if thats a regular bulb, it can put off a lot of heat. i found these 65k bulbs at home depot for 7-11 dollars at 13 and 20w respectively. i would try one of them out. that would give you a more natural light for the plants, and a cooler temp for the frogs. your bulb may allready be full spectrum, and no heat preoblems, so this whole post may be mute. at least i tagged you for updates :D

Landon

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2mnytnx said:
have you checked the temp inside yet? if thats a regular bulb, it can put off a lot of heat. i found these 65k bulbs at home depot for 7-11 dollars at 13 and 20w respectively. i would try one of them out. that would give you a more natural light for the plants, and a cooler temp for the frogs. your bulb may allready be full spectrum, and no heat preoblems, so this whole post may be mute. at least i tagged you for updates :D

Landon
The spiral fluro that is in there doesn't give off hardly any heat, I can touch and not get burned if the bulb has been on for hours. My home depot doesn't carry any specialty lighting, I don't think people down here are too concerned with indoor lighting. I did find the 65K bulbs at walmart though, I think 13 watts for around 6$, I was waiting to see if I could find a 20w. I will be getting the bulb as well before I finish planting the tank, b/c all the plants now are under 65K as they soften up. I may leave that bulb up as a morning light b/c its 35K like morning sun, if I understand correctly. But thanks for the heads up. :D

G

·
the ones i am talking about are the spirals. after looking at it again (halfway through my post) i realized ho white the light looked and thouhgt maybe these were the ones. i have two of the 13w ones over a 10 gallon nano-(used to be)reef, and i got good growth out of some softies. they are great lights IMO. hd didnt have the 20w ones when i purchased, but i saw them the other day. i will replace with the 20w when i need to change them out.

Landon

G

·
im not real sure what determines the lifespan. they prolly are about the same. it will be easy for me to tell in the SW setup because the algae will bloom when the spectrum changes (theoretically).

Landon

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
amphibianfreak said:
Cody, good luck redoing it all. I just finished (about 10 min. ago) planting my 30 gallon cube, now i just have to wait for the plants grow in....

Thanks, I got it redone just in time to leave town :cry: , there is still some glue drying too so I didn't add the water either.

I got some new plants though, they are just softening up and they'll go in when I get back. So will the frogs (once I make sure temp and humidity is good), I can't wait to get them out of those shoebox things.

G

·
I'd add some leaf litter also. Being a plant nut myself,it is very easy to overplant your first viv so I'd learn about the plants and see if they are fast growers or not.
Mark

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mark Wilson said:
I'd add some leaf litter also. Being a plant nut myself,it is very easy to overplant your first viv so I'd learn about the plants and see if they are fast growers or not.
I have some magnolia leaves on the left side. I only have Selaginella Unicinata (1 4" pot(unpotted) and some clippings) aside from the tillandsias. I dont think Ill add more than one more plant. Ill take a pic when I get back home of how it is now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I added the plants that I had that were ready. I also fixed the hole and finished the top (somewhat anyways). I added the water and made everything less dry. I forgot to pull out the tillandsias before photo time though as all but one are coming out.

Well hows it look? I have one more plant that may go in but I don't know if my lighting will suffice.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Looking better. I think it would be cool to train some pothos to climb the cork, and maybe add some moss around the front and the wood to make it more green...

-Luke

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First, Thank you. It is my first viv for a dart frog and I need someone to say 'thats good,' or else I convince myself that its horribly wrong.

I like the idea of everything being green, but not with this tank. I plan to get a good 'climber' to fill in the cracks of the cork bark but plan on leaving the back how it is, the tank is so small I want to get some contrast, not just GREEN.

Would java moss grow in my small water section? Its sand and rocks, I have some peat sprinkled on the bottom of the tank under the sand, I got the idea from freshwater planted tanks. I don't really like java moss, so is there any alternative, some type of semi-aquatic that would reach into the land?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts