Dendroboard banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After setting up a new horizontal 10 gallon tank, for my newest incoming terrestrial darts, I began wondering, how do I vent this better?
I have one tank that I built with a screen going along the long side of the tank. I feel it allows too much humidity to escape. I have another tank that has a screen along the short side. This affects the opening of the tank and still lets out too much humidity. Both these affect the viewing ability of the tanks.

So how do you all on DB make your top glass "hoods" for your horizontal tanks, wide and coming-at-you (fit 4 on a 48")?

I was just interested in what everyone does?

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can skip the venting since opening and closing the viv to feed once a day should allow for enough air exchange. If you feel your vent is bigger than it needs to be, you can cover parts of it with Saran Wrap or a piece of glass. I personally do not like to add a vent to a horizontal tank because that requires the vent be on top instead of the front and from physics heat rises and cold air falls, which means there is more cycling of the air in a vertical oriented vent than there would be compared to a horizontal oriented vent.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I only have one 10 gal set up as a horizontal, but I have it rigged the same way you do, with a one inch vent running the long way along the front of the top, with a solid piece of glass covering the rest. I generally never have troubles with low humidity with the whole strip wide open, but if I ever want to bump it up I have 1 inch pieces of thin plexiglass that I can lay inside the vent to cover it up (I cut pieces of hard plastic packaging from electronics, etc...). That way I can easily adjust the amount of ventilation the tank gets, from completely open to completely covered, and anywhere in between.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Nice tutorial, but the OP is setting up a horizontal tank
...care to explain why that tutorial wouldn't work for a horizontal? Looks just fine to me, it's just a bit of extra work, and depends on the way lighting is set up

I do it pretty much the same way you do, but just saying, it can be done and would work out pretty well... IMO it would be really cool with LED's mounted directly to the door.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Its basically the same thing. Another way to go about it is what i did. If you look Pumilo thread on Vents, it explains how to do a horizontal vent. I bascially made a living hinge which is two pieces of glass sliconed in the middle to it can open and close and just add the vent by making a window screen. You can get the window screen kit in lowes or homedepot. Once finished building the screen just add it to the glass and silicone that to it. If you need pics, ill post some of my horizontal lid w/ 2 inch vent. If you dont want to silicone the two panes of glass together, you can get something like this from NEHERP (New England Herpetoculture - New Items) Its called Living Hinge Material.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have a simple pc fan on the upper left corner held up by velcro tape. Simple, yet effective. Humidity is high, but the plants can dry out.

·
Registered
564 Posts
...care to explain why that tutorial wouldn't work for a horizontal? Looks just fine to me, it's just a bit of extra work, and depends on the way lighting is set up

I do it pretty much the same way you do, but just saying, it can be done and would work out pretty well... IMO it would be really cool with LED's mounted directly to the door.
I'm sure it would work just fine horizontal, but it just seems like a lot of work, especially for a 10g where a single piece of glass is still small enough to handle without needing any kind of hinge. It would be cool to mount the lights to the door so you don't have to move it every time. I'd hate to bust something if I opened it a little too quick one day though!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Drill 1.25 inch holes in glass then cover them with ac filter. Works great to add sone air flow. I did it on my 10 two in front panel one in back. Works great to let heat out as my 10 holds more heat in

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the same size glass pieces as I do with my vertical. I move the vent in between the two pieces of glass. I do not hinge the lid.
the lid is heavy enough an just rest on top of the tank.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm sure it would work just fine horizontal, but it just seems like a lot of work, especially for a 10g where a single piece of glass is still small enough to handle without needing any kind of hinge. It would be cool to mount the lights to the door so you don't have to move it every time. I'd hate to bust something if I opened it a little too quick one day though!
You could mount (glue :D) some low wattage LED's on there pretty easily, and they're so light it would get rid of the OH SH#$ *CRASH* potential you might run into with heavier fixtures.

Something like the ones konton used in this thread

1 - 14 of 14 Posts