Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to redo my first viv. I am scared to death to take out the frogs though. I no most people use the tubing to get them out. I have so many Ideas and I no how to build a great clay background.

For people who redo there tanks what is your input? What do you do step by step?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Set up a temporary viv to transport them to. I used the normal 32oz FF cups just to catch and transfer them and I used them in the same way you'd use a tube (let them jump into it). Once they're in the temp viv, you're free to open the doors on the viv you want to redo and get in there and do it.

I recently redid my viv as well, but I was moving from a clay background with LECA to a simple coco panel background with a false bottom. Everything had to come out to do it. Do as much as you can to make things up in advance. If you're putting a false bottom in there, it's best if you can have that made up in advance so your plants will not stay out of a high humidity environment for too long. I'd also pre-mix the clay in a bucket before taking any plants out as well and for the same reason.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Step 1 - Put hand(s) in tank
Step 2 - Use hand(s) to capture frog(s) and relocate one at a time to temp. container
Step 3 - Rebuild Viv
Step 4 - Put frog(s) back in viv.

I'm under the impression that the tube method is not for the frog's safety, but is more to keep from messing up the viv plants and because it's harder for the frogs to see the clear tubing coming at them. Sometimes with the smaller frogs it's just easier/more convenient to use the tubes, but I wouldn't be scared about using your hands...

Look at any field herping thread, you'll notice that just about nobody is using plastic tubes to handle amphibians, scientists/biologists included. The frogs will be fine, just don't make a habit out of handling them, and be gentle. If you feel like using the tube method, it's fine too.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I usually use a dixie cup /disposable cup to transfer frogs from one place to another.

First step is to have the temporary enclosure that you'll transfer the frogs into set up.

Then hold the cup on one side of the frog, and place your hand on the other side of the frog. Move your hand slowly towards the frog, and it'll probably jump into the cup. If not try again.

Cover the cup with your hand and put the cup in the temp enclosure. Allow the frog to come out by itself.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I forgot to mention, if using your hands.... be careful about what soaps/detergents have been on your hands recently, and rinse very well. Just something to be mindful about.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Also woudnt this stress them out? My varaderos are currently breeding would this effect them at all?
A deli cup would be fine for up to 24 hours. Longer than that and I would put together a quarantine type container.
It could shut down breeding for a while. On the other hand, I have redone vivs for frogs that were not breeding, only to have them start up again within a day or two. My rule of thumb is, no changes while they are breeding. Wait till they are done. After all, if your frogs are happy with the way things are, can't you live with it for a while?
Aren't your Vara's raising tads right now? Do you plan on pulling the tads or just hoping they will continue feeding them after you rearrange things?

Reactions: Tadbit

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Since they're raising tads and you don't plan to do this right now, why not build a simple growout-type tank? You could move the parents into it while redoing the viv, and then keep it for later when the froglets morph.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
vivlover, I like using the tube method because the frogs don't seem to see it coming. They just sit there while you slip the tube over them. Sometimes I catch them by hand but it really stresses me out, lol.

One end of the tube is covered with plastic wrap. Once the frog is in it, I hold my hand over the other end and put the tube into their container. Or, if I just want to mess around in their tank for a bit, I cover the second end with plastic wrap. When I'm done, I put the tube back into their tank and remove the wrap from one end. Once they've moved out of the tube, I take it out of the tank.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey Rob, by "stop breeding" I just mean temporarily. Sometimes we call it "turning off", like turning off a light switch. Could be for a month, could be longer. Anything you do to cause a sizable disturbance in the tank, may or may not "turn off" your frogs. That's why I would choose to wait. Why risk it when you just got them going a month or so ago. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts