Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so after searching for about an hour, Im still trying to figure out how to mount epiphytes such as broms and orchards to a rock wall. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've yet to keep a bromeliad alive in a vivarium myself (mostly due to lack of circulation I think), but many people use toothpicks, pieces of paper clips, or fishing line to hold it to the background.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've yet to keep a bromeliad alive in a vivarium myself(mostly due to lack of circulationI think), but many people use toothpicks, pieces of paper clips, or fishing line to hold it to the background.
Thanks for the quick response, but I'm assuming those methods only work for soft backgrounds, what if you have a 1" thick layer of cement as a background?

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Dunno for sure but maybe only hot glue or silicone for broms (which would just add to the curing/airing out time before continuing the build or adding frogs), not sure about the orchids.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gorrila Glue works for me. I use a little spaghnum moss as the glue is setting to cover it so when its dry the moss covers the glue

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure if it makes much of a difference for broms, however you said Epiphyte not Lithophyte.

Lithophytes are plants that attach and grow on rock surfaces.

Epiphytes are plants that grow on wood/bark.

So that may be your problem.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I use Liquid Nail on my outdoor mounts. I do not know how it would do indoors, I know it has no lasting smell and just looks like hard plastic when dried.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gorrila Glue works for me. I use a little spaghnum moss as the glue is setting to cover it so when its dry the moss covers the glue
ok that sounds like a plan.

Not sure if it makes much of a differenceforbroms, however you said Epiphyte not Lithophyte.

Lithophytes are plants that attach and grow on rock surfaces.

Epiphytes are plants that grow on wood/bark.

So that may be your problem.
that's for that bit of info, I didn't know that.

Is it concrete over styrofoam or pure rock? should try to drill a small whole in the rock.
its Quikrete Mortar over foam.

I think ill try liquid nails with the spaghnum moss covering it. Does the dame method works with orchards?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are you sure that the cement is cured completely? If not it will kill the plants, and possibly the frogs.
Cement that thick would take a long time to cure and the a very long neutraliation process. It's a pain in the butt to do but if it isn't fully cured and nuetralized then you will have a real problem later on down the line.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can get a two part epoxy in most saltwater aquarium shops that is used to mount coral frags. It should work well for this application and it doesn't harm coral reefs so it should be safe for plants and frogs

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
I use Liquid Nail on my outdoor mounts. I do not know how it would do indoors, I know it has no lasting smell and just looks like hard plastic when dried.
do you guys still have the old "grey' formulation in Florida? The reason i ask is that they banned an ingredients in the grey formula a few years back, in some states, and never had much luck with the new "white" stuff.

1) it doesn't dry as fast, and if humid, can take days

2) it's creamy and doesn't get tacky as it dries, but crumbly

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No no no, I'm asking the question in advance. It's not ready to be planted yet still a lot of work to be done.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, but I'm assuming those methods only work for soft backgrounds, what if you have a 1" thick layer of cement as a background?
I cast my own backgrounds out of plastic and drill holes into it for the toothpick method. Works great for me! Drilling that cement IN the viv is going to be a real pain. Good luck with it, man!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts