Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some Isopods and springtails in the vivarium 1-2 months prior to adding frogs and have seen no sign of them ever since. Is there a way to know if they are still alive and doing their job?

·
Registered
45 Posts
A few years ago, I discovered a few baby isopods in my tank. After a few months, their number kept growing because, a few times each week, I just threw a little lettuce leaf. Less than one hour after, all the isopods were eating that leaf so I knew there was a bunch of them.

So make a try and throw a lettuce or salad leaf just before the light goes out and I am sure you will see some of them.

·
Administrator
5,039 Posts
I thought the dwarf whites/purples I'd added to every viv weren't really keeping their numbers up. A while back I took the frogs (imitators) out of one viv to tear the viv down, but didn't get around to tearing it down for some time (handful of weeks). Sure enough, the isopods were out and about after a while. I think frogs eat them more than we suspect.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought the dwarf whites/purples I'd added to every viv weren't really keeping their numbers up. A while back I took the frogs (imitators) out of one viv to tear the viv down, but didn't get around to tearing it down for some time (handful of weeks). Sure enough, the isopods were out and about after a while. I think frogs eat them more than we suspect.
Quick question is there any merit to using different types of springtails. Do some do better in say a dry enclosure? "like with morning geckos?" Is there a difference?

·
Administrator
5,039 Posts
I don't know if there are any springs that tolerate drier conditions better. I think the current standby for all uses are temperate springs (Folsomia candida).

Reactions: Chris S

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I lifted up the leaves in a few areas and I see some signs. I'll keep the lettuce idea in mind for the future just in case.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Instead of lettuce why not put a piece of banana, pear or apple in the vivarium every once in a while? Microfauna will feed on it and fruit flies that your frogs missed at feeding time will congregate around it rather than trying to exit the vivarium. If you are ever in doubt about your microfauna population, just flip the piece of fruit over. The bottom will likely have springtails and isopods munching away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts