Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it mah-teh-cho, mah-tey-cho, muh-tee-co, or mah-tee-sho?

-C

·
Registered
202 Posts
The world may never know...! I wouldn't worry too much about it, a wise frogger once told me that as long as people know what the heck they're talking about then enunciation doesn't really matter ;)

If it means anything, coming from a spanish speaking background, Mah-teh-cho sounds the best to me... just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The majority if not all of the of these regions were discored by Spanish settlers so always best to go with the Spanish pronounciation
Actually, Portuguese is the most spoken language in South America (Brazil has the largest population of any country in the region by far). Not that the pronunciation in Portuguese would be much different than the pronunciation in Spanish for this word haha (the "o" would have a "u" sound depending on the region). Also, you should keep in mind that the names of several locations actually come from the Native American people's languages (in Brazil many words come from the Guarani people).

ANYWHO, I was going to agree with the above quote on it's pronunciation, but a problem arises where the Matecho locality is in French Guiana, where the official national language is French. In French the "ch" is actually pronounced more like the "sh" sound. In any event, you can listen to both the Spanish and French pronunciation here (for those that have no idea what I'm talking about):
Google Translate

Personally I've always assumed the Spanish pronunciation :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
my friend says ma tee co. i always say macheto. but what do i know. all i know is i got tera- billis.:) always called them that. there are alot of names that i am not sure how to say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts