Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a random thought today: Since people have to pull tinc eggs in captivity to get them to survive how do they survive in the wild?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
We don't have to pull eggs. If there was a suitable place for the tads to be deposited they could transport the tads themselves. A simple dish of water will do in most cases. I have small water areas in all of my tanks and everyone has produced a few froglets. :)

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The parents pick up the hatching tads and deposit them into small pools. The tads will eat algae, dead bugs in the water, decomposing vegetation, bacterial films, other tadpoles, and whatever they may find.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh REALLY? I thought only certain types, like egg feeders, actually carried their tads to water.
Thanks for the knowledge!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Oh REALLY? I thought only certain types, like egg feeders, actually carried their tads to water.
Thanks for the knowledge!
Yes, every dart frog that I am familiar with carries their tads to the water. It's just that with some, they will continue to feed them food eggs and with others that is the end of the relationship. Now with the feeders you have some differences, too. Obligate egg feeders require food eggs to grow and morph out properly. We have yet to find any foods that can be supplimented. Non-obligatory egg feeders, like Imitators, will egg feed their tads but it is not required. We can pull the eggs or tads and raise them ourselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts