Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just thought of this the other day...EVERY pet store that i have been to that has PDFs for sale,has a few small tanks with just a screen top.wouldnt all the humidity leave the tank that way?also,they say they only mist like twice a week.and the the only water feature in the tank is a VERY small water bowl.are these frogs suffering or what?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well the humidity in such stores is usually very high to begin with, at least the one store i have been to where they sell PDF's.

Luke

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I agree...most pet store dart set-ups are horrible. In one store the moss they threw in there for substrate was so dry it was dusty.
I told them they should have a glass top and/or be misted daily, and the next time I came back they were in the same shape, but with full size cickets and waxworms (for auratus :oops: ) crawling all around the tank
I've been tempted before to buy the frogs, just because I know they will die soon if they aren't bought.
I'm pretty sure they get away with it because there are no regulations in place...if a pet store doesn't know proper care, who's (besides dedicated hobbyists) to know they aren't being taken care of properly?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
A local store near my way had a blue auratus. First problem: $110 price tag. Second: Very young. Third: Adult crickets, or close to them. Fourth: Screen lid. Fifth: Other frogs, including mantellas. Sixth: only a water bowl, meaning no hide spots. Seventh: Uneducated employees. An almost eighth: They were close to using a heat lamp. Ninth: Do you really want me to keep going?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Yeah, anytime I've seen them in a pet store, they are usually at least
100% more expensive than from a breeder.
If you think about it they end up a just a little more expensive than if you get them straight from a breeder, when you figure in shipping costs etc.
But I would much rather pay shipping costs than to pay the same (or more) for animals that are taken care of properly.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My husband works at a pet store and after the manager saw our dart frogs set-ups he wanted some for his store. We built two 20L terrarium, but we did them right. They have glass tops, live plants, drainage and a water area with a pump. The only way I let them do it was because my husband works full time and takes care of the frogs. Plus I come to inspect them once or twice a week.

Pet stores generally have to sell the frogs at higher price because there is little wholesale available on darts, you might get a price that is $10-$25 cheaper per frog, but you still have to pay for shipping and account for the costs of keeping the frogs in the store. It is hard to profit from frogs unless you breed them yourself and do it in large numbers efficiently. Most people, like myself, just do it because they enjoy keeping the frogs.

My goal of having the frogs in the store is to expose more people to the hobby and to educate them on their proper care.

·
Registered
297 Posts
bgexotics said:
My goal of having the frogs in the store is to expose more people to the hobby and to educate them on their proper care.
I think this is an invaluable service! When someone says "keep it moist", you can bet five different people interpret that differently. So, seeing something in person that is properly executed, helps everyone understand what moist should be.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hehe, this topic makes me laugh, cuz it reminds me of a recent incident. I went to a local pet store, and they had a skinny, have dead ancon hill auratus for sale, but he was labeled as a MANTELLA. THey would have given him to me for $25 (mantella price), but there was no way I would deal with them. I then told them how to properly care for their frogs, and Identified their remaining species, and told them proper food for the frogs, and they ended up snubbing me off once we got to that point. I mean, I can see doing a business where you have knowledge on what you sell, but I can't stand to see them bring instuff they end up killing, or don't even have proper food for. It is just ridiculous, but what can we do ???

Ed Parker

·
Registered
720 Posts
That is the problem with the farm-raised frogs. Now they are on every reptile wholesale list and people who know nothing about the frogs are ordering them. I am probably going to use some of my tax money to buy up some of the auratus and Red Eyes and set-up breeding colonies. I already have a vet who will give me the drugs to treat them.

I went to one store here and saw 4 baby tincs in a 55 gallon tank filled with potting soil and a few pieces of pothos. The tank was dry enough for leopard geckos, no water bowl or anything. The poor frogs were huddled in a corner. I used to sell a few lizards to this store, but stopped selling to them and then told the person who sold them the frogs about what happened. I haven't seen a frog in the store since.

Alot of stores are intimidated to sell frogs because of raising fruit flies, so I also have to teach about that part. Plus I can sell off a few cultures which is nice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A number of years ago when I worked in one of the local pet stores they had a P. Terribilis (spelling?) come in. No one wanted to touch it cause no one even knew if it was CB or WC. I worked the aqwuatics dept. not reptiles though so I had nothing to do with the matter, but the guys in that department wound up finally finding out that it was about 4th gen CB and they put it in a tank and tried to feed it medium sized crix. I don't recall if it died, sold, or what. Bottom line though, pet stores shouldn't be able to sell things that they don't know anything about and ther should be some sort of government regulation being done with regard to the "cruelty to animals" laws... I mean, if a pet store isn't keeping dogs appropriately, a customer can report them to the ASPCA, so why not do the same if they are misstreating some less common pet that they are trying to sell?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't mean to be a pessimist, or even a sh*t disturber, but working in the same aquarium store for 2 years straight should give me some insight. If the store buys something very expensive and then doesn't sell it or it dies I get very excited, please keep the nooses in back pockets. When we ordered exotic things and they dies our manager was very quick to say, welp thats now a special item fish/coral/invertebret. When I worked we sold a ton, I worked all over the store and we mostly had very high-end reef livestock and high end supplies. When it comes to stuff that IS impossible to keep alive without proper care, we marked it up like a son of a gun. People would come in and be like, "wow thats really expensive, why?" that gave us at least a chance to explain to those worthy enough to listen. These expensive items go through fads, iguanas, certain types of corals, like elegance anenomes, nudibranchs, sea stars and sea applees/cucumbers. There are almost always easy alternatives to these, but everyone wants the weird, the showy, and the colorful. I personally didn't like to sell to inexperienced people, and most often offered them alternatives, but as a pet store employee I cheered when our pot belly seahorses died, becuase the dingus who wanted them would had let them linger on with a sh**ty life of a mixed tank, tropical, and brine shrimp. Sometimes it's better for the creatures to die to dissuade pet stores from buying them. It's a very hard lesson and it busted me up for like the first year I worked, but soon realised it was a neccesary evil.

Just my 2 cents

James

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yup working in pet retail, it is funny to observe the trends of pet keeping. I remember the craze over moss balls (still sold as rare plant on Ebay), dwarf cichlids, and getting a $350 black tank (just like a yellow tang but black). Now the store where my husband works sells Labradoodles (mutts) for $500 and little toy dogs so everyone else can be like Paris Hilton and have a dog for a fashion accessory. I can't believe people pay inflated pet store prices fro dogs instead of going to a reputable breeder. The store at least takes very good care of the animals and has a vet who comes twice a week.

You even see it here (not to offend anyone), but now it is all about thumbnail darts. People were condemning WC frogs until the "farm-raised" pumilio became available. I

·
Registered
720 Posts
Screen lids are fine if you are willing to keep spraying enough. I used them for a while, but glass canopies definately make life easier. Less fruit flies escaping and now I only have to spray every couple days.

On a side note I found mantellas in a local store. They know I keep frogs and asked my opinion on the set-up. It was ok, not what I would have done, I told them some pothos or other live plants would help. They were feeding the frogs 1/4"crickets, I think I'll give them a fruit fly culture. Overall the frogs looked healthy still.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts