Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have been searching previous posts and I haven't had any luck so far. I am trying to figure out how to make a vivarium cover (for 20L and 29 aquariums). I have come to the conclusion that the best way for me right now would just be to get the living hinge material from NEHerp, cut whatever material I use & slap together a hinge, and then fill in the last inch on the front with mesh/screen netting.

I'm afraid of cutting and sanding glass because I've never done it before and I value the integrity of my fingers. The other option is to use LEXAN or whatever other cheap plastic sheeting they have at Home Depot and use a plastic cutter to cut this. This idea seems less scary to me :D. Is one better than the other? What thickness should I go with?

Also, how do I put the mesh on the end? I mean I get that I can silicone it to the edge of the plastic/glass, but where does the rest go? Do I build a frame somehow? I've seen the ventilation build post from Pumilo, but I worry this is overkill (I'm not super concerned with how it looks right now), and I'd still need to figure out how to attach this to the plastic/glass. Any simpler ideas?

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Here is how I've been doing mine...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...c-filter-foam-fans-vents-ff-lids-etc-etc.html

But another way I'll probably be switching to is just to remove the hinge and silicone strip of mesh between the 2 pieces of glass to create a living hinge. You can then put that foam material on it to make it more professional looking and ff proof. Using just the foam their is more chance of it tearing.

Or you you can do basically what I did in the thread and add the mesh before applying the foam, or go with just mesh. You can make it so the vent is in the front as I usually do, or along the back. You do have to be careful to not to warp the plastic piece you cut into a frame, and make sure you get a good seal. One way to this is cut thin strips of magnetic tape and apply it into the inside edges of standard black rimmed aquariums, and then some to the plastic framed foam/mesh vent so you get a good seal that most animals won't be able to get past.

When you do just the foam and plastic frame there can be gaps at the edges big enough for froglets or thumbnails to squeeze through. Another quick fix for that is to apply a thin line of great stuff, or building up layers of gorrilla glue, or epoxy etc..etc... would work. But I use GS sometimes just cuz it is handy, then you can slit it with a razor so the lid opens but the gaps a the ends are sealed. You can paint, or cover that in black silicone or use black pond foam to make it nicer looking. But if you do the magnetic tape that should take care of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is how I've been doing mine...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...c-filter-foam-fans-vents-ff-lids-etc-etc.html

But another way I'll probably be switching to is just to remove the hinge and silicone strip of mesh between the 2 pieces of glass to create a living hinge. You can then put that foam material on it to make it more professional looking and ff proof. Using just the foam their is more chance of it tearing.

Or you you can do basically what I did in the thread and add the mesh before applying the foam, or go with just mesh. You can make it so the vent is in the front as I usually do, or along the back. You do have to be careful to not to warp the plastic piece you cut into a frame, and make sure you get a good seal. One way to this is cut thin strips of magnetic tape and apply it into the inside edges of standard black rimmed aquariums, and then some to the plastic framed foam/mesh vent so you get a good seal that most animals won't be able to get past.

When you do just the foam and plastic frame there can be gaps at the edges big enough for froglets or thumbnails to squeeze through. Another quick fix for that is to apply a thin line of great stuff, or building up layers of gorrilla glue, or epoxy etc..etc... would work. But I use GS sometimes just cuz it is handy, then you can slit it with a razor so the lid opens but the gaps a the ends are sealed. You can paint, or cover that in black silicone or use black pond foam to make it nicer looking. But if you do the magnetic tape that should take care of it.
Oh the magnetic tape idea is genius!!! Definitely using that :) What are you using for the plastic that you make the frame out of? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Oh the magnetic tape idea is genius!!! Definitely using that :) What are you using for the plastic that you make the frame out of? Thanks!!!!
Most glass tops come with 2 panes of glass the hinge and a plastic strip that runs along the back so you can cut it for cords and/or filters for aquarium use. I cut out the inside of it to create the frame.It's kinda a hassle to cut though, so that's why I'm just going to bridge the gap with mesh as a living hinge probably or work out some other method.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure about where you are, but my local lowes cuts glass free of charge. They've done dozens of pieces for me and its all really cheap because if you pull from the miscuts its 50% off.

Its a pita though so be nice. Pretty sure they hate me lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
I cut my own glass from lowes it isnt the thickest but its about an inch wide piece, nothing rest on it. I never broke any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts