Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my pilea repens, marcgravia rectiflora, and monstera siltepecana.

How should I plant the three? Didn't anticipate them to look the way they do...always get a bit disappointed by online shipments of plants.

Anyways, the pilea looks to have roots growing from its stem. Am I able to cut off a portion and just stick the stem into the dirt? Will roots just grow from the stems?

I was expecting one shoot of marcgravia, but it looks to be one main root and two split offs. I think there is a long root coming off the main bit...should I just stick that into my substrate?

How about the monstera? This one has a super large root system. Way bigger than anticipated. Can I just cut those roots off and plant a portion of the roots? How should I go about that one?

Thanks everyone.

· Registered
86 Posts
The monster you could plant in the ground next to a hardscape or all and it’ll do its own thing. Or you can mount it to a wall with a small be of sphagnum moss and it won’t care at all.

I’m not terribly good with marcgravias but you could put its base in a patch of spagnum like the monsters and let it do its thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
Bury all main roots in substrate for the best results. Spread them out as much as possible so that they cover more area and will get more water. The roots growing up along the Monstera's stem are aerial roots, probably meant to anchor the plant to a background. You could lean the plant against the background and gently attach the aerial roots to the background to give it a head start.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you happen to disinfect these plants prior to planting them in your viv?

It totally sucks picking up hitchhiking pests.
Yup! I disinfected the plants just like I did with my current inhabitants.

They're all in the tank now. The marcgravia is looking a bit rough, but hopefully in a few days it looks a bit healthier. Looks a bit depleted at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts