Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was traveling to my parent's home today with some PDFs, fruit flies, and springtails in my backpack. I had two small heat packs in there, but my bus got delayed and I had to stand out in the cold and snow for a while. I just got to my parent's home not to long ago and noticed that the heat packs were cold and one of my frogs was not moving at all. It hasn't moved at all since then, but I know it is alive since it is breathing.

I don't know what to do to make it feel better. Do PDFs recover easily from cold exposure?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
It depends on a lot of factors including how fast the temperature changed, the condition of the frogs, how low the frog actually got, the temperatures at which the frog was acclimated..... Place the frog on it's belly in a location where the temperatures are close to 75 F and leave it alone to recover. I personally would leave it in the travel cup for the moment.
The next thing is to go out and purchase a small cooler like is used for lunches and some more heat packs. When you get ready to leave (since there isn't enough time to get some phase change panels) place a container of water in which the water temperature is close to 75-80 F, and use the heat packs. The water will provide thermal mass which will help reduce the rate at which the temperature changes. You can use a thermometer to monitor the temperature and decide if you have to use another heat pack (be careful as the heat packs consume oxygen).

Some comments,

Ed

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I left the frog in the travel cup and placed him in the warmest room in my parent's house. He was moving around a little bit, which I assume is a good thing.

I will see how it is doing tomorrow morning and then decide where to go from there :/

I feel really bad because I obviously didn't plan for the worst

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Hopefully it will recover fully. Count it as a learning experience.

Ed

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely learned from this.

So i checked on it this morning and it seemed to be doing much better so I moved it to the viv.

It started eating FFs, which I saw as a good sign. It is also moving around a lot more.

Hopefully it makes a full recovery :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried all that I know to do (Thanks Frogface and everyone for your help).

I have him in a container by himself with springtails and a small container of water so that he can sit in to soak. There is leaf litter, and some plants so that he can hide and feel safe.

The temperature is about 76 and humidity is around 90%.

He shows no interest in springtails or FFs and has gotten thinner. He also sits in the same place for most of the day. He was perfectly fine before the trip so I am thinking that the exposure to the cold was really harmful.

I am really bummed out about this :(

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a little update.

Today the frog managed to eat 5 FFs. I know this isn't much, but is that a sign of improvement?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Phew, that is good to hear. I was just worried that 5 FFs wasn't enough to be deemed an improvement. I hope it keeps improving. I don't like seeing it so thin, with its sides sunken in a little. It used to be so chubby.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is what it looks like today. Sorry for the crappy pictures I had to use my phone. Does it look okay? (I hope to eventually be able to refer to it as he or she, too young still)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has been eating more flies, which is good.

I put two banana stations in the tank, instead of the usual one that I have, and that seems to help since it can just go up to them and eat whenever it wants.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am happy to say that it is eating a ton now! :)

It is still not moving a lot, but at least it is eating.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Glad they are doing better :)

Idk why you would venture out in the cold with them in the first place:confused:
Yeah they are pretty frogs and I'm sure you wanted to show them off but you put them in danger.
Should have left them home especially if you are having to ride on transit.
Transit is really unpredictable.
Try to be more careful next time :D

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad they are doing better :)

Idk why you would venture out in the cold with them in the first place:confused:
Yeah they are pretty frogs and I'm sure you wanted to show them off but you put them in danger.
Should have left them home especially if you are having to ride on transit.
Transit is really unpredictable.
Try to be more careful next time :D
I had to bring them with me. I am at college and was going home to my parent's place for break for a month. I could not leave my frogs unattended for that long. I was waiting for the bus that would take me on my 6 hours ride home.

I would never try to put my frogs in harm's way. I thought it would be safer than shipping them home in the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i think you are a worried frog parent!!

We just bought a small cooler for frog/gecko transport in bad weather! I'm going to get some phase packs too - I'll have one of the vendors sell me a few to put away in case of emergency.

We will test this in a couple of weeks- I'm transporting the geckos and their vivs to work while we go overseas. vivs will get wrapped in blankets and taken quckly to warm car. The geckos will travel in deli cups in the cooler.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I had to bring them with me. I am at college and was going home to my parent's place for break for a month. I could not leave my frogs unattended for that long. I was waiting for the bus that would take me on my 6 hours ride home.

I would never try to put my frogs in harm's way. I thought it would be safer than shipping them home in the cold weather.
ah I guess I jumped to conclusions a bit but I didn't know it was like a greyhound bus lol. That's even more crazy....but like you said you couldn't let them fend for themselves for a month.
Next time get a cooler but I would be afraid Greyhound would check the cooler and not like what they see.
Only other thing I know to do is put them under the bus and tell them it is fragile and put some good heating packs in there.
Or get a cooler small enough to fit in a carry one bag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts