Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the rim 10gal once, and could not get the silicone off. Now I'm thanking of removing the rim on a 55 gal, what's the best way to do this?
Or should I just paint the rim? :)

P.S. The rim is really ugly!:(

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
what do you mean by paint the rim? best way to remove the silicone is with a razor blade and a lot of patience.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rim is plastic with an really ugly fake wood look. The tank would look so much cleaner if it was rim less.:(

I've used a razor blade, and I end up with a thin silicone film that is really hard to get off!

·
Registered
586 Posts
You have to shave the silicone off as if it were hair or cheese. Angle the blade at about 45* and run clean strokes. Lots of new blades help too!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yup new blades help too! And again patience, ive done a couple for planted aquariums and it took forever. But it was a 10 dollar tanks and not a 120 dollar ADA tank so i couldnt complain. How you plan on doing a lid?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yes, you need lots of blades. They may still feel very sharp, but they quickly lose their "micro edge".

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got almost all of it off with just one blade.:) I got some new razorblades, to do the finishing touches.

This tank is for my vert tank, so there is no lid just a door.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts