Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get 2 dart frogs for a 18x18x24 enclosure.

I love the Dendrobates Tinctorius, Patricia variant. I think it's beautiful. But I've been reading adults may fight. How common is that really? I'm also read you can prevent that by getting a sexed pair, but every place I've looked at only sells unsexed juveniles. (If you have links to place where you can get a sexed pair, I'd love it). Am I setting myself up for failure with getting 2 and hoping for the best?

I'm also looking at Leucamelas, but I just keep coming back to the patricia morph and loving how it looks.

·
Registered
939 Posts
To call it common would be an understatement. It's pretty much a guarantee you will experience aggression with same sex tincs. There are people who have seen exceptions but for the most part, it's going to happen. There are lots of people selling sexed Patricias. Find hobbyists breeding them instead of wholesaler websites and random classifieds. If you go the juvie route, you're just going to have to plan for aggression. Have multiple tanks to house individuals, or be prepared to sell your same sex extras.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To call it common would be an understatement. It's pretty much a guarantee you will experience aggression with same sex tincs. There are people who have seen exceptions but for the most part, it's going to happen. There are lots of people selling sexed Patricias. Find hobbyists breeding them instead of wholesaler websites and random classifieds. If you go the juvie route, you're just going to have to plan for aggression. Have multiple tanks to house individuals, or be prepared to sell your same sex extras.
How do you find hobbyist? I've googled for frog breeders/keepers in state, looked on craigslist (probably not ideal) and this forums regional pages and not seeing much. One seller a few hours away and didn't even have the exact frogs I was looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts