Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
'Make it better' in what sense? In the sense that it functions better for the frogs or better in terms of aesthetics? I personally think it looks ok but there are a few things I would have done differently such as added more wood decor. But, in terms of functionality, it appears to have plenty of usable space for your terribs as they are mostly terrestrial. Great job with the leaf litter as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and yh aesthetically. I realised the wood was low but only have a massive piece I used for a waterfall before and doesnt really fit anymore.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i would also think it would be improved by placing 2 or 3 nice sized branches running across the tank. even a couple of branches out of the woods with some moss or lichen on them would help add some vert interest. i would also have something against the background that you give you a place to put an epiphyte against the background. also a nice shingling plant going up the background would look good. just some ideas let us see what you end up doing.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You could also try and slope the floor/substrate, coming down from the back to add even more usable space. You should be able to find a nice piece of driftwood to lay down in the floor as well. Question, what did you use for your substrate (under the sphag moss and leaves? It kinda looks like potting soil from where I'm sitting...

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
One of the best things you can do is wait and let the plants grow in at least a little. One of the potential mistakes many newer people make is to underestimate the utilzation of floor space by the frogs and overdecorating/planting the tanks. Often if you simply wait and let everything start to grow, you can avoid an over crowded looking tank and let the frogs have more normal behaviors.

Some comments

Ed

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
used a mixture of jungle bedding and coco husk for substrate

how would i secure branches running horizontally in the air?

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
I'm going to refer to the plants already in the tank and then I'm dropping this thread...

If you take a look at some of the plants he has planted in there already, there are several species that are going to get big and require a good bit of management to keep from crowding the enclosure. As a result, I'm surprised at the consistent suggestions for him to add more obstacles to a balanced enclosure. Too often people over plant/decorate/furnish enclosures only to have them result in crowded enclosures which are less than ideal. More plants can always be added later... it is much more disruptive to remove plants than to add them.

Some comments

Ed

Reactions: Azurel

·
Registered
493 Posts
can you mount plants to exo terra backgrounds, if so how please thanks
For bromeliads, you can just pin them up, bare root, with floral wire and toothpick. For other epiphytes, you should surround the roots with long fiber sphagnum moss using the same method. The background being styrofoam, it shouldn't be too difficult, you just have to be creative on how you mount them. You can also bore out holes in the background and plant your plants in these holes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts