Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of making a "living hinge" glass top for a 29 gallon viv. I have a couple power cords that are coming from inside the tank and the only way I can think of to get them out is to drill holes into the glass top. Is it safe to assume that I can use a 1 inch diamond drill bit since the longest part of the electrical plug is 1 inch?
Also, any tips on filling in the holes after I've run the plug through them?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Don't drill a hole. Just cut about a quarter inch or so off one of the corners.(depending on the thickness of your lip) Then just lead you cords out the corner. From there a little dab of silicone will easily plug the corner hole. Easier, cheaper (don't need a hole saw), and simpler to plug the much smaller hole when you are done.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I think I have even an easier way. Just cut a little notch out of the plastic on which the cover glass rests. Then make sure the glass goes all the way back. Stuff a little sphagnum around it just for good measure if you have thumbnails.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My lip isn't that big so I'll have to kill my living hinge and recreate it to give more room for the cords but that is a much easier solution. Thanks to both of you!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If the cord is your typical rectangle... the one inch you measured is across the width of the cord. Your hole will only be an inch in the very center. May have to angle it very precisely to get it through but with multiple cords it may be tougher as you go along. May or may not need bigger but I would drill a one inch hole in wood and test try it before you drill the glass. Typical wood hole saw bits are cheap.

·
Registered
185 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts