Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, when i went to moisten the auratus, i noticed that the glass was a bit dirty. I took a paper towel to wipe it off. The male auratus came really close to watch me. But as i was wiping the glass near the "canopy", a small spider emerged and began running around. It was white, with a small cephalothorax and a spherical abdomen. Its legs were angular. It was maybe 2 cm in diameter with its legs extended. The male auratus was on the "forest floor" and the female in the "understory" so they weren't close to the spider. I tried to remove the spider with a paper towel, but it ran into the foliage and vanished from sight. I kept searching for a few minutes before deciding to wait for it to come out again. I have two main concerns: one, that the spider may pose a threat to the frogs, and the other, that they may eat it and use its venom for themselves.

·
Registered
112 Posts
First of all I have had small spiders in my auratus tank and they have been just fine, if anything lunch. I would make sure the spider is not poisonous by looking it up. As for your frogs being able to use it's venom if I remember right it is a difficult process to mimic to make them poisonous, I believe the termites have to eat a certain plant and then the frog eat the termite or something along those lines. Hope this helped

Curtis

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
There are reports in the hobby of frogs capturing and feeding on small anurans in enclosures. I've found a small froglet in a Parasteatoda tepidariorum web in the past and since then I make sure to deal with any spiders that move into the enclosures.

Ed

·
Registered
370 Posts
I too would try to keep spiders out of the tanks.
However spiders just outside of the tanks are great as they tend to catch alot of escape FF. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts