Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 99% sure that I have a Honeylocust tree in my yard. It drops the long, curved and twisted seed pods. They really look interesting when they are dry, with a really nice dark maroon color to them. I was wondering if these are safe to put in the dart tank? I think they would have a ball climbing around on them. They are really sturdy and wide.
I would love to get some thoughts on these. I can post a photo once I clean them up.
Thanks
Rhonda

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
honey locust

Most varieties of honey locust are temperate and need a cold period in order for the seeds to germinate, which means seed germination is unlikely. However, in regards to whether or not I would put it in I would say no. My reasoning is that it will most likely rot, or possibly introduce new pests...ie fungus, mites, nematodes, bacteria. Better to be safe than sorry. The seeds are cool though...they look like giant pea pods.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that they may rot. I have three in there now. The frogs really enjoy climbing around on them but I am going to inspect them carefully and when they start to break down I will throw them out. They have been in my yard for the entire winter. I was hoping that the severe cold we had would have killed off anything. Right now they are real leathery.
Will have to wait and see. As far as a little tree goes, they did get a really cold period. It is really a neat tree in my yard...hmmm...I bet it would be a really cute little tree for the tank :wink:

Most varieties of honey locust are temperate and need a cold period in order for the seeds to germinate, which means seed germination is unlikely
Thanks
Rhonda

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
honey locust

Rhonda,

It would be interesting if they did germinate, but again unlikely. They need well drained soil with a decent amount of sand thrown in. Most varieties, unless they are cultivated, have thorns. Probably not the best thing for a frog, but then again anything is possible?

Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.