Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
anyone tried the yogurt moss mix?
what you do is you blend riccardia and fissidens with RO water and then add a small amount of plain greek yougurt containing "L. Acidophilus" . this is supposed to prevent mold growth and help the moss grow.

·
Registered
391 Posts
what you do is you blend riccardia and fissidens with RO water and then add a small amount of plain greek yougurt containing "L. Acidophilus" . this is supposed to prevent mold growth and help the moss grow.
I have, many times over the years with yoghurt, beer, buttermilk, you name it. On all kinds of substrate indoors and out. This is just my experience and I know there's people who swear by yoghurt and various other mixes but ultimately I never found any of them to be more effective than just finely chopping moss or liverworts and mixing them in purified water then spreading that around. I've never even found a moss mix where the ingredients seemed to speed up the growth much although some mosses do respond well to weak fertilizer.
I have had good results with Riccardia chemadryfolia and Fissidens splachnabryoides just spreading them on lava rock and keeping them moist, unless you blend the moss too destructively so that you actually kill a lot of it there's not really anything for mould to grow on this way. Also Fissidens fontanus doesn't respond well to this method as it's truly aquatic - it will actually get started faster grown submerged from day one but will attach to hardscape if kept emersed and sifficiently wet. This can be useful if you don't want to use glue or thread/fishing line to attach it.
This isn't true for growing lichen outdoors though where the correct mix can really drastically speed things up.
I'd love for you to experiment and let us know if you find something that works well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried yogurt and it gold moldy. I switched to RO water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts