Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working in my yard today and noticed alot of springtaials and Isopods. As I was looking at them I started wondering if anyone has started there own homegrown cultures. If so how did you collect them and what was your success rate ? Iknow everyone sells here on the board but this was something I thought might be possible. Any input would be great, Good or Bad.
Thanks Barry

·
Registered
835 Posts
You can do a search on collecting as a few of our members have collected their own.

Most here will recommend avoiding the collection of anything (bugs,leaves) out of a yard due to the possibility of contaminates such as pesticides and and fertilizers, not to mention bad bugs like some of the predatory mites.

If you are Hades-bent on collecting and are willing to take a chance on dragging unknown species in, a walk in the woods will at least minimize the risk of contaminates/pesticides/etc.

Again using leaves (collected from a remote site) as an example, isn't that big of a deal because you can boil them or put them on blast in the microwave. Springs, Isos are a different deal.

Finding someone with relatively clean bug cultures and spending a few bucks reduces the risk of bringing something that you don't want in to frog room.

My 2 cents. Your PDF mileage may vary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was working in my yard today and noticed alot of springtaials and Isopods. As I was looking at them I started wondering if anyone has started there own homegrown cultures. If so how did you collect them and what was your success rate ? Iknow everyone sells here on the board but this was something I thought might be possible. Any input would be great, Good or Bad.
Thanks Barry
Hello,

I live in Helotes, a little NW of San Antonio in the country, and there is also one more pdf person not too far from me. I don't use any pesticides in my yard, and have a lot of oaks, so I regularly use the dead and dried leaves in my viv's for leaf litter. Our 100+ weather for the last three months has baked them pretty well. I still am a little hesitant to try local isopodes and springtails, because of the potential for harmful mites. Both of us maintain cultures of isopods and springs that have been carefully grown by other members and are pretty clean. Will send a PM to make more contact info.

Mike in Helotes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts