Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got round to finishing my Exo Terra 24x18x18" today. For months it had been sitting around with a false floor, cork bark and foam corner piece and Epiweb walls, simply being a grow out tank for plants, no more!

There is Epiweb moss mix on the walls, hopefully I get some good growth from it. I have planted the tank quite lightly, going to see how it grows in. Just need to pick up a coconut and make a hut for under the large bromeliad and order some springtails and isopods.

Still unsure what will eventually live in here. My thoughts are either:
Small group of Auratus El Cope
Small group of Santa Isabel
Small group of Leucomelas
Small group of Terribilis
Pair of Azureus

Im not going to rush anything into the tank so thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I like it. That would be suitable for any of the species on your list, and all are awesome. However, none will get the attention of visitors like azureus. Hard to beat a blue frog. You may even be able to do a 2.1.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it. That would be suitable for any of the species on your list, and all are awesome. However, none will get the attention of visitors like azureus. Hard to beat a blue frog. You may even be able to do a 2.1.
Thanks :) Yeah I know what you mean, I think of how cool the others are but you know everyone will love azureus the most haha.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I think you need a viv, same size, identical to this, a twin, side by side, with terribilis. How to resist to the blue of azureus and to yellow of terribilis? But leuc are also a good (yellow) choise. :)
Great tank anyway.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you need a viv, same size, identical to this, a twin, side by side, with terribilis. How to resist to the blue of azureus and to yellow of terribilis? But leuc are also a good (yellow) choise. :)
Great tank anyway.
Haha thanks, if only funds would allow :) This is my first vivarium so im just getting my eye in so to speak, building it, culturing food and keeping darts so I have experience behind me. When I get my own place the plan is for a huge, Grimm style peninsula with a twist :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frogs are like cherries, believe me: one leads to another, it is said here (that is, you're never quite satisfied). I started with two vivs almost three years ago and now I have ten vivs (other three coming soon, in the next few months).
I have pretty good self control (I think haha). I have one tropical fish tank and one vivarium for now. But I love setting up aquascapes and have plenty of ideas for different shape and style vivariums too so I would love to set them up for other people so they could get into the hobby.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Frogs are like cherries, believe me: one leads to another, it is said here (that is, you're never quite satisfied). I started with two vivs almost three years ago and now I have ten vivs (other three coming soon, in the next few months).
...or like potato chips! Can't just have one! :D

I really like your viv! I'd lean towards what you really like or have an interest in keeping the most. If it was me, I'd go for either a nice group of leucs or a pair of azureus! Both will be bold additions that you see at all times of the day.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...or like potato chips! Can't just have one! :D

I really like your viv! I'd lean towards what you really like or have an interest in keeping the most. If it was me, I'd go for either a nice group of leucs or a pair of azureus! Both will be bold additions that you see at all times of the day.

Best of luck!
If they're as addictive as texas BBQ flavour Pringles im screwed haha (im sure they're made using crack!!)

Thanks. Yeah i'd want something bold. Hopefully get some breeding going too :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just ordered 6 small Cryptanthus bivittatus that will be going next to the broms and up the driftwood. Once i know how the moss mix is going, if the big open area on the back wall is just moss and no surprise treats from the bag, im thinking of mounting either Nephrolepis Cordifolia 'Duffy' or Nephrolepis Marisa epiphytically to provide some cover.
Also on Monday i'll be ordering some Trichorhina Tomentosa and Folsomia Candida, much to my girlfriends horror haha. She looks forward to seeing cute frogs but not creepy crawlies. I just used the same excuse I use for buying more fish, "but I need more otos/shrimp/siamese algae eaters, they are my janitors, they help keep things looking good" :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Vanzolinis...
Very good suggestion for a thumbnail species! They are actually one of my all time favorites and when setup properly, they can become very bold. My groups are just as bold as my leucs:D

I have found that vanzos will make great use of both foliage plants and broms as well as the leaf litter. One of my males will actually call from either his favorite piece of leaf litter or from the edge of the highest brom. Same frog (he's crazy).

If you make good use of the tank's size you could probably fit a sizable group of frogs in there since the are relatively nonaggressive.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that suggestion. I have looked at thumbs, I just get nervous at the thought of something so small haha. But then again frogs that small would make the tank feel larger hmmmmmmmm. Whatever goes in the tank has to bold yet have a quiet call as it is 2ft away from my bed, that's why I thought azureus would fit the bill. But if a group of thumbs could work I would be tempted, how many would you say? I hear that most thumbs can get a bit rough when in groups though, is this the case?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought i'd add that I have been monitoring the tanks parameters, at it's coldest during night time drop it gets down to about 19ºc. During the day it usually sits around 23-24ºc. Also the humidity sits around 90-93%.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Humidity is good. Regarding the temps, it's better if you have 20° C at night. I know that ventrimaculatas are fine for 19° C, but I do not have vents and I can not confirm this. Vents have soft call and go well in a group. Good frogs group are lamasi/sirensis, vanzolini, fantastica, bennies.
The frogs do not usually call at night (just my male Solarte it does sometimes). Also I have most of my frogs (and all pums) in my bedroom.
I love to wake up with my frogs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Humidity is good. Regarding the temps, it's better if you have 20° C at night. I know that ventrimaculatas are fine for 19° C, but I do not have vents and I can not confirm this. Vents have soft call and go well in a group. Good frogs group are lamasi/sirensis, vanzolini, fantastica, bennies.
The frogs do not usually call at night (just my male Solarte it does sometimes). Also I have most of my frogs (and all pums) in my bedroom.
I love to wake up with my frogs.
Thanks for the info. My room doesn't really ever get too cold for me but if the central heating isn't on for any reason I do have a gas fireplace in my room for instant heat.
Here is a list of thumbs that are pretty much readily available from a supplier:
Ranitomeya lamasi 'Contanama giant'
Ranitomeya lamasi 'Lowland red/orange'
Ranitomeya lamasi sirensis 'Highland'
Ranitomeya imitator intermedius 'Netted'
Ranitomeya imitator 'Nominat form'
Ranitomeya vanzolinii

They do get others from time to time.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
They are all a good choice, but imitator generally go in pairs or trio, not in groups.
I love lamasi/sirensis Highland, my preference is for them.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are all a good choice, but imitator generally go in pairs or trio, not in groups.
I love lamasi/sirensis Highland, my preference is for them.
They are stunning, especially when the yellow bands are nice and thick. What numbers are we talking when we mention a group of thumbs? The tank is an exo terra 24x18x18", which I think is 32 US gallons.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts