Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not trying to sound ignorant, despite I already read the ol article that Derek Benson posted about Fiberglass resin, but I'm still not sure what type I should get. Supposedly, I think I'd go with the pool paint that Jhupp suggested. I checked out the site I think Khoff posted, and that stuff is expensive! As I plan to make only one or two small vivariums with glass doors first, I don't know if I want a lot of paint that can't be reused for such a high price!

I have seen some stuff at Home Depot called "Liquid nails" that is two parts epoxy and is for a porcelin like finish to bath tubs and tiles, for a little over $20. However, it says its for porcelain and ceramic surfaces. Do you think it would still be safe for plywood? I know it sounds dumb what I said, but it *sounds* identical to the stuff that you would use pretty much for a pool, as its for a bathtub. What other types of cheaper coatings are there? (if fiberglass resin isn't cheap) By the way about fiberglass, somebody did say it can be toxic. If so, am I supposed to leave the tank alone for a few weeks because of fumes or paint over it? I'm still not sure after reading the last post on Fiberglass resin.

Rain

·
Registered
369 Posts
I am not familiar with the stuff you are reffering to. The only Liquid nails I know of is an adhesvie that comes in a caulking tube, but wouldn't be suitable to coat wood nor is it a 2 part epoxy. The epoxy paint is only cost effective for large tanks or if you were making many tanks at once. The most cost effective way to go for only a few small tanks is probably all glass. You could try smearing silicone over the wood, as this can produce an effective seal with ease on a small scale. If you go this way I would use DAP's food safe silicone over GE's Type II, as it seems to have better adhesion properties.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
paint

well, apparently, it is 2 parts epoxy and is a kind of paint for a porcelian finish for bathtubs, so its definitely waterproof. My real question is whether or not if its ok to use on wood. Even though it probably isn't harmful, I don't want it to warp the wood or screw it up. If nobody else is sure here, I can also ask Home Depot, despite that can be problematic considering how hectic it is in that store! :shock:

I'm planning to build two vivariums. I get tired of reaching in my 20 H to feed Kole, my tinctorius when I have to keep the plants satisfied with two bulbs, over the lid. So, I have to push up the light fixture up a little and dump in food. Its a pain also to clean and water too. So, I will build something with doors.

Perhaps I could use plexiglass as a base instead of plywood? I can definitely use plywood on the outside as a frame work. I will have to use glass though on top because the lights can warm the plexiglass.
Sorry, you advanced hobbyists have provoked me to create my own custom cage, when I haven't build ANYTHING before. :wink:

Actually, I just read that "Liquid Nails" is the brand. The stuff is tile and tub epoxy coating. I guess I could try it (after I ask to be sure), but if I can't reuse the stuff and seal it back up, I might as well just do all plexiglass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts