Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man. I've been using Ward Sciences ff media for a couple years now. The yield is 90 to 95% of what ED's had given me, at a much better price.

At a better price... till now that is.

I've always ordered the 6 bags of 4 liter (that's a case). The last time I ordred it that was $61.

I just re-ordered and it is now $79 frickin' dollars!

That's a 30% price increase (that too effect in January). Unbelievable.

I make 30 ff cultures a week so I've never seriously thought about making my own.

That changes effective immediately. I ordered enough media to see me through, but my assignment for the forseeable future is to find a good media recipe and do my own thing cause there is just no way it should cost that much!

The main ingredient is POTATO FLAKES and the price goes up 30% ?!?

WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? :?:

Scott
Sanford, Maine

PS: Thanks for the "Edit" Guys... :?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Scott,
Here is the reciepe that I have been using for about 2 years now and it works great for me. 6 cups of potaoe flakes ($2), 1 cup of powdered sugar ($.75), 1/2 cup of brewers yeast ($1.75). That is the dry mix for a total of approximately $4.5 to $5 or so. Then I use 2/3 water to 1/3 distilled white vinegar. Mix the 2 together to the consistancy you want, sprinkle a LITTLE bakers yeast on top and the flies will do the rest. Any questions and I will be glad to help if I can.

TonyT

·
Registered
850 Posts
I use almost the same thing as Tony except I don't use Brewers yeast, I just use baker's. I actually use methyl paraben (mold inhibitor) but vinegar does basically the same thing. This ends up costing less than $5 per 1 gal bag. Much much cheaper and I have had just as good production as when I used ED's media. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I've been using the same formula for several years and get much greater production than with Wards. The biggest difference between it and Wards is Methyl Paraben. I've found that while methyl paraben works great as a mold inhibitor, it also inhibits production (decreased yields). I’ve tried methyl paraben in my homemade media and production was noticeably reduced. So, I’ve opted not to use it anymore and put up with the smell of vinegar and the occasional moldy culture.

Donn

G

·
khoff said:
I use almost the same thing as Tony except I don't use Brewers yeast, I just use baker's. I actually use methyl paraben (mold inhibitor) but vinegar does basically the same thing. This ends up costing less than $5 per 1 gal bag. Much much cheaper and I have had just as good production as when I used ED's media. Can't beat that!
Kevin, do you use anything in place of the brewers yeast? Besides bakers yeast? I ask because the brewers yeast supplies vitamins to your ff which in effect feeds your frogs....without it, you are only giving your frogs a crap load of carbs...not a very healthy gut load.

sorry if you were already aware of this,

G

·
Hi All,
Tony shared that recipe for me and I am on my 2nd batch of it.It has been working great and it is dirt cheap.
Mark W.

·
Registered
850 Posts
MBMcEwen,
I think that is quite a hasty presumption. Although brewers yeast is usually suggested over bakers when it comes to vitamins, bakers does also produce Vitamin B1, B2, B12, proteins, folic acid, nicotinamide, etc. Not to mention all of these vitamins are also in the vitamin dusting I use. I really don't believe this is causing any vitamin deficciencies. If you have sources stating otherwise, I would actually love to read them.

G

·
khoff said:
MBMcEwen,
I think that is quite a hasty presumption. Although brewers yeast is usually suggested over bakers when it comes to vitamins, bakers does also produce Vitamin B1, B2, B12, proteins, folic acid, nicotinamide, etc. Not to mention all of these vitamins are also in the vitamin dusting I use. I really don't believe this is causing any vitamin deficciencies. If you have sources stating otherwise, I would actually love to read them.
I understand this, but I was also assuming that you did not put a full cup of bakers yeast in your cultures. I was under the impression that more than a pinch of active yeast on top would crash a cutlure do to elevated levels of carbon dioxide. Forgive me if I am completely wrong on this.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Matt,
Of course you are right by saying that puting a cup of bakers yeast in would kill a culture. All I was addressing was your statement that said if I don't have brewers yeast, the all they get is carbs, which is incorrect. I know brewers yeast would be more effective, but I am not too concerned that my flies get elevated amounts of these B vitamins because my frogs get most of it from the dusting powder anyways. And I probably do use more bakers yeast than you would. I use the equivalent of two good sized pinches. I am still not saying that my way is better without brewers yeast, just saying I think it is sufficient.

·
Registered
976 Posts
brewers or bakers :?:

ok it seems to me that everyone is on the brewers kick. ok so "sell me" what is the advantage of useing the brewers. i was told that the brewers give flys a kick to breed faster. so if you need a culture up quick that is what you use.
just my opinion.
walt

G

·
This is all I am saying. I believe that insects needs to be gutloaded before given to frogs....my frogs at the very least. With other herps you can feed the insects a wide variety of foods to insure that your herp will not have any deficiencies....not so with fruit flies. They need sugar....lots of sugar/carbohydrates, whether it comes from powdered sugar, potatoes, molasses, bananas, or whatever.. The brewers yeast supplies a big portion of vitamins that the ff, and in turn your frogs would not get otherwise. I do not believe that dusting alone gives the frogs what they need for two reasons. First, the dust is washed off of most of the flies within minutes. Two, if dusting is all you need, why not eat potato chips all day everyday for the rest of your life....but take a multivitamin everyday also....see how fit you stay

Now, as for my choice of brewers yeast. I don't care if you use brewers yeast or not. I would love to use bakers yeast, but because more than a pinch or two will crash your cultures(and I believe that the frogs need more than a pinch or two), I opt for another solution. Honestly, the only reason I use brewers yeast is it was recommended to me when I first started making cultures. I have also heard of people using other supplements one might find at GNC....it doesnt really matter to me as long as there is something in there other than sugar.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I should thoroughly explain myself as I should have done from the start. This is also all in my own humble opinion, which no one asked for to begin with. :oops: I also fully realize that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

·
Administrator
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe that the shortest reply I could give on why you need to include Brewers Yeast in any ff media - I've never found a "for resale" ff media that does not include it.

To me - that speaks of the need to include it.

s

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I was at a health food/natural grocery store last night looking for spirilina powder, and saw a huge jar of brewer's yeast, more than anyone would ever need for FF cultures.

·
Administrator
8,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Huge" is relative. You'll note that Tony's original mix (2nd or 3rd post in this thread) uses 1/2 cup at a time.

Unless you're talkinga bout a gallon of the stuff - you'll go through it fast enough.

s

Arklier said:
I was at a health food/natural grocery store last night looking for spirilina powder, and saw a huge jar of brewer's yeast, more than anyone would ever need for FF cultures.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts