Dendroboard banner

holey Terrarium!

922 views 5 replies 1 participant last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
I have a question.
If a terrarium has a hole at the bottom for drainage, does it still need a false bottom, or can a screen to cover the hole be sufficent? :lol:

G
#3 ·
i would think that you would want at least something under the soil for drainiage. otherwise the the parts of the substrate that are far away from the drain would stay soggy. a 2" layer of clay pellets or even just a few layers of egg crate would be sufficent i would think.

G
#4 ·
What do you think about using a cheap undergravel filter for aquariums minus the air tubes?

I have used them before for aquariums, and I know that they come in several sizes. I could buy the best fit for my tank and then fill in the gaps if any with gravel. I could top it off with some mesh and then some soil. What do you think?

G
#6 ·
I have seen posts of people useing undergravel filter plates for a false bottom with no problems. You could also raise it off the bottom with pieces of PVC as you would egg crate. Egg crate is cheaper if you don't already have an old undergravel filter laying around though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.