Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the renewed interest in these frogs, I figured it would be a good idea to trace back where all our frogs originated.

Please feel free to add to this thread if you are currently keeping these frogs. If you used to and sold them off - please direct the new owners here too.

Below is my understanding on the 'lines' in the hobby. I'm sure I'm missing stuff...

First IAD's (1999-2000's)/European Imports
It seems like all the lamasi that appeared at those shows came through the same European source.

Producers of this line:
Chris Miller
Rich Frye
Josh's Frogs
Zach Brinks
Adam Butt?

Tor Linbo Import
An import brought in by Tor early 2000's from Europe

Producers of this line:
Tor Linbo
Zach Brinks

2010ish Holland Import
A private import approximately 4 years ago

Producers of this line:
Julio

2014 Euro Import
Another private import

Producers of this line:
Damian

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't still have those frogs do you?

My understanding was that there were a handful of people in Germany with them who sold/exported through 1-2 others to the US. Larry and my lamasi came through Paul/Ron and were picked up at the show. Samples also started dealing with the same people over there. I've still got offspring from both of those sources in my breeding groups

There's a lot of grey with those first frogs and I'm betting that many of the onesy-twosey imports are gone. Hoping that the thread will shed more light on that time period.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
They all came from Europe? That seems odd to me. I was sure I had heard of them coming in legally from Peru in the 90s.

Also, Darren Meyer has been working with these for a long time, but I'm not sure what line.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They all came from Europe? That seems odd to me. I was sure I had heard of them coming in legally from Peru in the 90s.
As far as I've found about what's currently in the hobby, it seems like they all trace back to Euro imports. Though I'm not trying to present my thoughts as gospel, just trying to figure it all out.

The first I saw them on the internet was in the mid-late 90's on the SDS page I think - Bernd Pieper photo credit possibly. First time in person was at IAD when Larry Marshall and I bought ours. They were officially described in '92 so considering past practice, it's likely they started making it into the hobby soon after that or even as ventrimaculatus or quinquevittatus before that.

Also, Darren Meyer has been working with these for a long time, but I'm not sure what line.
Thanks, I'll ask him.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't remember who got mine or what year it was but I brought in a very female heavy group in the late 90's I think.
Direct from Peru?

I have a feeling that we are going to be saddened to see all the lamasi that burned up over the past 15 or so years in the hobby.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Nope, although they may have been from Peru via eu. I don't think it would've been as female heavy if they were collected though. They actually did better than most of the rest of the shipment and were all near adult to adult frogs.

It was the shipment me and the tarantula guys from cali did. Can't remember their company name.

Araknoculture

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Hmmm. That's interesting. I have a group that descended from 4 lamasi purchased at Frog Day, 2010. The seller (super legit board member) told me they had come from the Czech line and the parents were from Europe. Can I safely assume they are from the Tor Linbo import?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Was wondering if you can mix lines, say joshsfrogs with holland?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I got a pair in the mid- to late-80's from a German importer directly from Peru. They came in with a bunch of silverstoni. I produced and sold a few offspring before they were killed in a stupid, stupid accident. I can't remember who I sold offspring to or what happened to them. That line probably died out but I don't know.

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
840 Posts
I got a pair in the mid- to late-80's from a German importer directly from Peru. They came in with a bunch of silverstoni. I produced and sold a few offspring before they were killed in a stupid, stupid accident. I can't remember who I sold offspring to. That line probably died out but I don't know.

Best,

Chuck

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Yes, you should attempt to maximize the genetics of your groups mixing the lines. These are bottlenecked enough as it is.
There is so much fear of "mixing" by most in the hobby, that is seems people often don't mix things that they SHOULD, and as a result the population's genetic diversity goes down.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with mixing different lines/imports of the same thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts