Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Definitely I've taken into consideration http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com for their hi-bay fixture.

Does anybody know a place to buy these other than mentioned above? I cannot find too many that don't sell wholesale.

TEK lights are WAY too expensive on most aquarium and plant sites.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I found my 2x54w retro-kit on Ebay, for under 90 bucks, new, from Innovative lighting solutions
I bought my bulbs fromNatural lighting.com
Before you go ahead and purchase the high-bay, you may want to contact them, and tell them what you intend to use it for, as what the unit is designed to do is light a large area, wheras what you want to do is light a small area with as much light as possible. It is possible the high bay might spread the light out the sides more than you like, instead of down into the tank.
Have fun!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I love it!
The ballast gives off heat comparable to my other electronic ballasts, which is a little, but you can comfortably hold them in you're hand.
I can't really say I can compare them, the only t-8's I've tried are 15 watters, and if they are like most flourescents, aren't as effecient as their bigger brothers.
The only comparison I can make between the two is:
I have a lone ten gallon lit by two 15w reptisun t-8s...the growth is fantastic.
The rack below is lit by one of the 54w bulbs, I've only had the t-5 on them for 2 months, but I'd say the growth is just as good, if not even better.

(white balance is off, the actual light is more neutral than that)
I plan on eventually going to all t-5's for their effeciency, as even in the winter, my temps run a little on the high side.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty soon, I'm going to buy my lights for my big tank.

I would prefer to hang either a halide or T5 12" above the water, to allow some heard room for the water lilies.

Those high bay fixtures are very cheap, with 6 lamps for a lower price though. I will definitely call them like you said, Brian.

Question is, will they be strong enough for a high light plant like a lily 12" above the water? What's nice about HOs is that they produce very little heat, but I don't know how credible that is that they are "more efficient than halide" considering those claims are made by the people trying to sell them.

Halides were definitely built and designed to hang much higher, so that issue is resolved. But there's not a lot of information except plenty of claims that they are superior to halides and power compacts.

A six lamp fixture would produce about 40,000 lumens, equal to a 400 watt halide but more spread out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts