Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I just got a wicket deal on some CF lights from a local pet store that went belly up. I bought 3 brand new 110Watt 48 inch strip light setups for a mere $150... bulbs included!!! The place had new owners and they were dumping old stock... They had no clue what the CF lights were as they plan to get into birds or some stuff like that.

The lights include bulbs that are 9325' Kelvin. These lights are designed for salt and fresh water aquaria. I'm sure it will be OK for my frogs. Will I need to get some shades and some SPF for my frogs???

Let me know what you think. These things are quite bright.

G

·
that is a really high kelvin for frogs and plants. Those 10k lights are designed to penetrate salt water and provide light for coral and invertebrates, and as such would most likely cook anything other than suculents. You could use it, but you would have to be really picky on the plant selection and make sure that all are high light plants.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I have heard rumors about 10k lights hurting frogs eyes. Not sure how true it is, but just a thought.

Marty said:
Hey,

I just got a wicket deal on some CF lights from a local pet store that went belly up. I bought 3 brand new 110Watt 48 inch strip light setups for a mere $150... bulbs included!!! The place had new owners and they were dumping old stock... They had no clue what the CF lights were as they plan to get into birds or some stuff like that.

The lights include bulbs that are 9325' Kelvin. These lights are designed for salt and fresh water aquaria. I'm sure it will be OK for my frogs. Will I need to get some shades and some SPF for my frogs???

Let me know what you think. These things are quite bright.

G

·
The only way that i would use that light for anything other than a reef tank is if it was pretty far away from the enclosure, like 4-5 feet. you could mount it high up on the ceiling and use it to light several tanks in a rack system or something like that. I think that even some of the high light carniv plants would get toasted under that light and orchids may or may not survive depending on the species.

My recomendation, either build yourself a reef tank, sell the lights to someone on ebay or otherwise, or buy your frogs some ray-ban sunglasses and a supply of SPF 45 sunblock =)

·
Registered
986 Posts
10,000 K doesn't have anything to do with light intensity . . . it has to do with light COLOR. As the numbers get higher, the more blue the spectrum will be. Yes, 10,000K bulbs are designed for reef tanks because most reefs are exposed to more blue because the water reflects off the more yellow ends of the spectrum from the sun (plus, it gives that nice ocean blue look to the aquarium).

I have seen other frog tanks setup with actinics, and they did not seem to have too much problem. The colors looked a little funny, but that's the worst that happenned (and the azureus looked NEON BLUE). Sure, you will get more exposure of certain wavelenghts, and that MIGHT cause problems with burning . . . but it's definitely worth trying before going out and blowing more money on light setups, in my humble opinion. After all, if I'd listened to all the critics, my hood with 2700K CF bulbs would never grow anything . . . and I have several orchids and broms blooming or in near bloom in there. Try it out . . . you might like it! :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That has been my experience also, small %age of posts have actually anything of value (no offense to posts in this thread :D ), the rest is usually speculation and imagination ... Since my post, I've read some other posts about people using these lights in actual setups with no problems at all. They've reported very good plant growth... I'll be using them in my rack and in my 100gal.

Homer said:
10,000 K doesn't have anything to do with light intensity . . . it has to do with light COLOR. As the numbers get higher, the more blue the spectrum will be. Yes, 10,000K bulbs are designed for reef tanks because most reefs are exposed to more blue because the water reflects off the more yellow ends of the spectrum from the sun (plus, it gives that nice ocean blue look to the aquarium).

I have seen other frog tanks setup with actinics, and they did not seem to have too much problem. The colors looked a little funny, but that's the worst that happenned (and the azureus looked NEON BLUE). Sure, you will get more exposure of certain wavelenghts, and that MIGHT cause problems with burning . . . but it's definitely worth trying before going out and blowing more money on light setups, in my humble opinion. After all, if I'd listened to all the critics, my hood with 2700K CF bulbs would never grow anything . . . and I have several orchids and broms blooming or in near bloom in there. Try it out . . . you might like it! :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree with homer. How much K a bulb has, is not the same as intensity. Id prefer 10000K anytime because i would rather look into a crisp blue looking terrarium, than an ugly yellow.

BTW, are those bulbs VHO's by any chance? T5's? I think ive read somewhere there are compact T5's, than the usual tubes.

M.N

G

·
okay, the color might not matter that much, but did you all notice that he said he ha 3 110watt strips? 330 watts would sunburn you just being in the same room! =)

They would look pretty thou.....

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They won't be all set up in one tank :shock:

Otherwise It would be a jungle during nuclear explosion simulation :twisted: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

drunknmunky said:
okay, the color might not matter that much, but did you all notice that he said he ha 3 110watt strips? 330 watts would sunburn you just being in the same room! =)

They would look pretty thou.....

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Exactly homer, just what I had heard. I like the 5000k or 6500k for the best colors and plant growth. Some plants like blue, some like red, and some like both from what I have read.

Homer said:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts