Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, this is my first time posting. I want to be clear that I currently do not own dart frogs but I am building my vivariums now.
I am trying to help a friend as I feel he may not be getting the correct information.
He was keeping a male and female salt creek pumilio in a 12x12x18 enclose and his female recently was found dead. He says his humidity doesn’t seem to drop much even with vents and fans.
He believes his humidity is close to 100%.
He added coco coir to the substrate and he said this viv does feel more humid than the 2 others he has.
The female had four separate tadpoles in broms that she was caring for. She had no signs of foot rot or bacterial infection when he found her. I have read that pumilios do like it around 60-70% humidity. Not to sound too morbid but his wife opened her up and found 25 developing eggs. My question is do you think with the high humidity and with her caring for tadpoles and carrying so many eggs, that perhaps she was unable to regulate her body temperature and maybe that is why she passed away?
He asked in our countries dart frog group (I am in Canada) and they thought it was lack of calcium. Could people please share their thoughts on this? I don’t have any other pertinent details. He does measure his humidity and says it does drop to about 80% when the fans come one but once they stop, it goes back up to 99%. He doesn’t run fans all of the time. I know humidity gages are not always reliable.
He feeds repashy calcium vitamin D daily and vitamin A once a month.

·
Super Moderator
3,090 Posts
Without more information it's unlikely that we'll be able to offer much assistance.

12x12x18" isn't really big enough for a pair of pumilio, in my opinion. My pair are very active and use every bit of the 18x18x24" tank they are in.

What was your friend feeding and what supplement powder was he using?

What was the ventilation like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without more information it's unlikely that we'll be able to offer much assistance.

12x12x18" isn't really big enough for a pair of pumilio, in my opinion. My pair are very active and use every bit of the 18x18x24" tank they are in.

What was your friend feeding and what supplement powder was he using?

What was the ventilation like?
He has the front vent as it is an exo terra and he has a top vent strip towards the back over the custom background. He uses a USB fan that comes on for 2 hours a day. He uses the repashy calcium plus with every feeding and vitamin A once a month. He says that they humidity does go down to about 80% when the fans are on but goes back up to 99% when they are off.
I do agree that this vivarium does seem a bit too small for pumilios. My gut is saying the high humidity and with her needing to produce so many eggs could have just been too hard on her little body.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nothing jumps out at me as fatal. He can loose the vit A once a month calcium plus is fine by its self.. Humidity gauges are kinda BS. They are often not accurate. A 2-3" strip across the top of screened venting and the lower vents should provide enough air movement. I have never measured humidity in a frog tank. I watch my frogs behavior.

It is really hard to say what went wrong with out more info and pictures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts