Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here covered the glass on a tank with black silicone to hide the false-bottom components (PVC, eggcrate) and LECA? I've started to do it on my tank, but when the light passes through it, you can clearly see spots that are too thinly covered. I'm now wondering if this will be ok once the substrate is finally in, because then no light will be passing through the silicone.

How thickly should the silicone be applied to hide everything underneath the substrate?

Luke

·
Registered
696 Posts
I hide the false bottom of my tanks by filling in the gap with gravel. Let me explain, when I cut the egg crate I make it 1/2" too narrow leaving a space in the front of the tank. I wrap my screen under the spacers and then around the front of the eggcrate. Fill the gap with gravel. Just make sure you secure the screen so you don't get a blow out allowing the gravel to slip under the eggcrate.
Good luck

Mike

G

·
i used black silicone on the sides of the tank. in the front i used Great Stuff foam to create a barrier. i will cover the exposed GS with balck silicone and gravel. the unexposed will have gravel stacked in front of it. you can see progress pics at this thread.
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4838

with the thin places on the silicone, i dont think it will be a problem when you cover it. if i hold my hand behind it (to block the light) you cant see through it anymore.

Landon

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Landon, that's exactly what i meant. I was just wondering how thickly i would have to spread it to hide the white plastic because this damn stuff is kind of expensive at $5 a tube. And i have to tell you, one tube does not last too long...anyway, i let the first coat of it dry last night, so i'll just touch up the places where it seems too thin...i'll put up a pic journal once i get a bit more into it...

Luke

G

·
d

I used brown silicone on my big tank inside to hide the false bottom and if the soil goes to the very top of the silicone, there are no light spots through it.
It looks to me like a chunk cut directly from the rainforest, including the soil level!

only problem I've seen with it is that it is relatively fragile. When replanting something, it is easy to pull some of the silicone away from the glass.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice...i finished applying the silicone last night...so far so good...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coco-silicone back? And is that all pillow moss in the fore-ground?

Luke

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another compound that can be used is black, marine epoxy. I think they sell some of it at Ace Hardware. It has produced some nice effects for the tanks and is easily managed. On the downside however, each package yields a minute quantity relative to the price you pay. In fact, it completely sucks. It's approximately .85oz for nearly four dollars. For a small tank that works fine, but for something larger like a forty gallon, you could possibly be looking at spending over twenty dollars. The up side, once the epoxy cures, it's permanently affixed so you don't have to worry about it peeling if you need to replant anything. Best of luck finding what works, and have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts