Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here please go easy!

I have experience with reptiles and frogs but not darts and recently acquired 3 - 6-8 month old Leucomelas. They are in a naturally planted setup with lots of climbing spots basically in a converted fish tank as it keeps the humidity high. Temps and Humidity are all about right with humidity hovering around 98% currently.

They have only recently been placed in the tank within the last 4-5 days. Initially they were all quite active now all bit 1 of the frogs are hiding away and not coming out all that frequently. I've got a natural clean up crew and lots of sphagmum moss put down for them to sit on as well as logs and branches of various shapes and sizes but now seem to like hiding up the back of the tank at the base of the largest plant in the setup.

There's a few things I'm trying to iron out as to why this is happening but my thoughts are

Temps too high - I don't think this is an issue as its not going above 26 degrees C.
Disturbing the setup too much - with adding the flies and general tidy up of the enclosure - how frequently should I be doing this really.
Still settling in - not sure how much time to expect them to become climatised
Not enough Leaf bedding? Got lots of spagmum moss but not many leaves
Frogs are stressed out.. - what can i do to alleviate this if this is the case. tank is around 20ish litres but has multiple levels that they are all using.
Can't think of anything else

·
Registered
219 Posts
New member here please go easy!

I have experience with reptiles and frogs but not darts and recently acquired 3 - 6-8 month old Leucomelas. They are in a naturally planted setup with lots of climbing spots basically in a converted fish tank as it keeps the humidity high. Temps and Humidity are all about right with humidity hovering around 98% currently.

They have only recently been placed in the tank within the last 4-5 days. Initially they were all quite active now all bit 1 of the frogs are hiding away and not coming out all that frequently. I've got a natural clean up crew and lots of sphagmum moss put down for them to sit on as well as logs and branches of various shapes and sizes but now seem to like hiding up the back of the tank at the base of the largest plant in the setup.

There's a few things I'm trying to iron out as to why this is happening but my thoughts are

Temps too high - I don't think this is an issue as its not going above 26 degrees C.
Disturbing the setup too much - with adding the flies and general tidy up of the enclosure - how frequently should I be doing this really.
Still settling in - not sure how much time to expect them to become climatised
Not enough Leaf bedding? Got lots of spagmum moss but not many leaves
Frogs are stressed out.. - what can i do to alleviate this if this is the case. tank is around 20ish litres but has multiple levels that they are all using.
Can't think of anything else
Hi, welcome to the forum! Let’s address your problems.

Starting off with 98% humidity. Not only is this rare but if it were that high, it could have some side-effects to your setup and frogs. I doubt this is the case however.

Next, sphagnum. Sphagnum moss should be never used as a layer. It will rot leaves, plant roots, and little tiny frog feet. Please replace this with leaf litter.

I doubt your causing that much stress. I mean, all I do in a day is spray the tanks 3 times and feed them. Maybe take your general bad photos but you know. You got like monthly or a couple of monthly maintenance but that’s it.

Finally, I just believe your frogs are getting set in. Some members on this forum don’t see there frogs for weeks. Leucs are bold species, just give them some time to set in.

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok in that case what sort of humidity levels do you guys typically aim for i'm able to ventilate longer to dry it out slightly. Will replace sphagmum with leaf litter shortly. Funnily enough as soon as I posed this they started coming out of there hiding spots to feed. I'll upload a pic shortly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok in that case what sort of humidity levels do you guys typically aim for i'm able to ventilate longer to dry it out slightly. Will replace sphagmum with leaf litter shortly. Funnily enough as soon as I posed this they started coming out of there hiding spots to feed. I'll upload a pic shortly.
I usually go right smack in the middle of the 80s. At night, I’ll let it drop to the high 70s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I usually go right smack in the middle of the 80s. At night, I’ll let it drop to the high 70s.
Thanks In that case I'm going to leave it ventilating today to lower the humidity thankfully its next to my work desk so i'm able to keep an eye on the setup throughout the day thankfully. Where do you chaps get the leaf litter from I mean first thought was a forest but that could have loads of stuff in it that could be harmful or should it be ok?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks In that case I'm going to leave it ventilating today to lower the humidity thankfully its next to my work desk so i'm able to keep an eye on the setup throughout the day thankfully. Where do you chaps get the leaf litter from I mean first thought was a forest but that could have loads of stuff in it that could be harmful or should it be ok?
Usually an online dart frog store. Personally, Josh’s Frogs but people go to other places too. Sometimes, my local dart frog store has some leaf litter around.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I collect my oak and maple leaves in my pesticide free yard. I have bags and bags full.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the assistance situation now seems to have improved. They seemed to want the temps up a bit as I increased them slightly then they all came out and started feeding. I changed the floor for leaves and they seem to have appreciate that more as well. Its good to see them using the whole set up and climbing to the top on the brances! had some Auratus before and they were more timid than these guys. Think it might have been getting used to enclosure as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think a photo of the tank would be good to see. From what I’ve read and been told, it can take some frogs 6-9 months before they are regularly ‘out and about’, however 20 liters is around 5 gallons which is very, very restricted space for 3 Leucomelas, and they may be hiding due to stress and in an attempt to avoid one another

1 - 11 of 11 Posts