Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys make your false bottoms invisible (se you can't see them when looking at the tank)? I have been able to partially hid it in my hex (making a water feature in the front), but I can't come up with a way to hide it in my 29 gallon.

Josh
1.1 Citronella Tincs
0.0.5 Leucs
http://www.joshsfrogs.com

·
Registered
793 Posts
I know that some people will cover the bottom part of the viv with black silicone and then use a razor blade to trim off the excess once the false bottom is installed.

Personally, i like to see in there, check out whats going on.

G

·
I've been working on this.... I just cut it short a few inches in the front/sides, cut thin strips the height of the false bottom that are the lenght of the sides connect these all with zip ties (just do 3 sides). Then I cover the whole thing in vinyl window screen and filll the gaps with gravel. I f you want a water feature just cut out a portion of the false bottom (be sure to hide an partition off access to beneath the rest of the bottom though).

I've seen people do wierd things like use driftwood all the way around the inside, or cover up the outside. I'm suprised I've never seen anyone do it this way before. Its fairly easy/cheap.
Here are two pictures of a 20 long I'm setting up:

·
Administrator
8,781 Posts
I use weed block material (the black stuff) in my false bottom. Let's the water through - but no particulates.

I've been using a strip of the material cut to the appropriate height and siliconed on (lightly) with black silicone to hide the front portion of the false bottom.

I still have the sides to look in this way if I want to see what is happening under there (which 99% of the time is nothing).

s

G

·
What I did was use the silicone / coco bedding method like on backgrounds. I squirted a bead of brown silicone along the edge of the egg-crate. Then I just dipped this edge into a pile of loose coco bedding, then let it cure. So I end up with a dirt looking edge to my false bottom. You don't even notice it is there, and the supports for the egg-crate are far enough back that you cannot see them from the side (unless you used a flashlight!)

G

·
I've been doing a similar thing to Tad for a while as well. I do 3 of the visible sides like 1/2 shorter than the tank and then drape the screen over the sides. Then I fill in with leca. I had one problem with cave-in, but it just adds a nice sloping landscape effect.
j

1 - 8 of 8 Posts