Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am a 21yr old college student in SoCal. I have grown up with fish tanks all my life and have a 60 gallon planted community tank. I had always seen and heard about planted terrariums and with some spare holiday vacation time, a 40 gallon tank i used for breeding discus, and some aquarium lighting i decided that i was going to finally make my terrarium. I now have the substrate, background, and rough layout( although i am still messing around with some branches and moss, which someone might be able to tell me if i have any chance of getting this sphagnum to regrow). Sometime this week i am going to get a majority of the plants for the tank and get the layout somewhat finalized. But now that i have described the tank i should probably tell you all that i am looking to get dart frogs, most likely D. tinctorius or auratus in a 1:3 ratio or 2 pair depending on availability at my reptile store.

I hope i can find some good knowledge from experienced frogger's on here and if anyone has any beginner tips to throw out there i would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Micro

Attachments

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Instead of your LPS you should get your frogs from a local so cal breeder. You will get a higher quality frog and a better all around experience! Get that tank planted up and join SCADS! there's a lot of us down here who breed darts and are a great resource for peoe getting started

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Instead of your LPS you should get your frogs from a local so cal breeder. You will get a higher quality frog and a better all around experience! Get that tank planted up and join SCADS! there's a lot of us down here who breed darts and are a great resource for peoe getting started
I agree! You have lots of folks in your area who can provide you with quality, healthy frogs and supplies. http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/west/74056-scads-scnvads-december-meeting.html

Upcoming show http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/west/76987-pomona-jan-7-8-a.html#post680756

Welcome! Looking forward to you build :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks i will look into the meets. I have been getting my stuff from Reptile Island in Stanton which is just down the road from me. The guy there, i believe who's name is Robert, has been very helpful and knowledgeable about PDF's and has a good selection of juveniles of all sorts as well as a good selection of plants.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so i just got my plants. Got pictures and cataloged them all so i just layed them out still in pots. What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i was thinking about taking the till in the middle and securing it to the background. How do you suggest mounting the broms? dont they need to be in the substrate to grow?

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Most don't do well planted in substrate. They need air. The roots are mostly for securing the plant whatever it's growing on. When I get a brom, I rinse off all the dirt and cut off all the roots. Then it gets a bleach and water soak, a clean water soak, a treated water soak, before it goes in the tank.

Lots of creative ways to secure them. You can tie them onto a branch, use staples to staple them to GS, use skewers or toothpicks to make a cradle to secure the base. If there is a long stolon, you can stab that into the background. Eventually the roots should grow and stabilize the plant. Then you can get rid of whatever you used to hold it in place, if you can find it :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome thanks...i will give that ago..ill be back in a bit with some picture :)

so excited!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok everything is planted, stapled, tied, and wrapped :) I raised all of the tillies and broms. I think it looks quite nice for my first go. what do you all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Yay! Very nice! Grab some interesting orchids from Andy's Orchids, some more cool viney stuff, maybe something low lying, oooh begonias too, and leaf litter, when your at the Pomona show :D

I'm so jealous :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha well im glad you like it! i was planning on getting some leaf litter and small leafed creeping plants for the bottom but im taking it slow as ive heard many say they over did the plants because of how fast they grow. And the small little plant on the branch in the right is a vanilla orchid.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Neoregelia ampullacea- Rio De Janeiro
Neoregelia 'Pepper'
Vanilla Planifolia
Tillandsia ionantha 'mexican select'
Pellonia repens
peperomia serpens
neoregelia Punctatissima 'yellow'
Philodendron 'Brazil'
Neoregelia ampullacea 'Tigrina'

That is what i have in it now

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
just put in some spike moss, and another thats also a moss but not sure exact type, and i got a maidenhair fern. Also got my temp and humidity gauges and its looking good. temp is 75-80 during the day and humidity is 80-85%

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
The tank is looking good man! Where about in Socal are you going to school at? I'm at UCLA and gonna start building my first dart frog tank soon.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The tank is looking good man! Where about in Socal are you going to school at? I'm at UCLA and gonna start building my first dart frog tank soon.
Thank you! Im in Lakewood to be exact, if you dont know Lakewood then im literally right across the street from the Longbeach towncenter and i go to school at Cerritos college.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just want to comment, we're Micro's LPS and we get all of our dart frogs from local breeders and SCADS members. While many local pet stores are not a good place to get darts, specialized reptile stores are paramount to getting people into the hobby and can be a great asset for all frog owners.

While frogs can certainly be found cheaper when buying direct from the breeder, a local store has many advantages, the largest is being able to answer questions in person on a daily basis. Additionally, we are a convenient, local source of vivarium supplies, FF's and other feeders.

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying from local breeders or dendroboard members, but we do provide a valuable service to the reptile community and depend on sales to be able to continue doing so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Robert is a Knowledgeable person and I got my first forgs from him almost a year ago. They are some nice fat green sips now. no complaints

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea Robert has definitely helped me out a bunch! It can be very discouraging getting into a new type of any hobby and not knowing much but Robert at RI has been more than helpful and honest about what should be done and not done instead of just selling me whatever i asked about :p haha I have gotten almost all of my new viv supplies from RI and will continue doing so in the future!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts