Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I've been looking around on most of the frog forums for a while, and i've decided to make my first tank, which I guess is pretty nice for a first try. Here's the building thread (it's on a different forum, I didn't notice this one until a few days ago) so here you go.
20 long D. leucomelas journal

It's basically a 20 long for my beloved Dendrobate Auratus Green and Black. Very nice frog by the way!

So i'm thinking on doing a new tank, with everything perfect. Nothing wrong, very nice looking, etc. I have the palns for 2 tanks i'm thinking of, but I can't get them over from PDF format, but i'll keep trying.

I've been a good reefer for about 3 years, but it's a very expensive and time consuming hobby, but it was very fun. Then I spent 2 years keeping both white's tree frogs and red eyes. But I had to sell them because my girlfriend was getting sick of crickets running amuck. Currently i'm keeping a female albino leopard gecko that's almost a year old. A nice pet by the way. After I heard about keeping poison dart frogs I was so excited to see all these amazing tanks and cool frogs.

In my new tank i'm setting my budget at 200$ for the tank, supplies, and plants and 100$ for a frog. I've planned things out and I can get all the plants, woods, substrates, etc for a bit less than 100$. Not including great stuff foam and all other things like the so.

Now a bit about my self. My name is Johnny, and i'm 17 years old. I live in Grand junction Colorado, and here's the pets I currently own. 0.0.1 Dendrobates Auratus green and black, 0.1.0 albino tremper leopard gecko, a male cat (don't know type), and a male Cairn Terrier. I'm very happy with the hobby I have and would love to talk with a few of you to get an idea on grasping things in this hobby. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one thing i can say about that tank is ad LOTS of leaf litter if you havnt done so already
Thanks dendroguy. I added more. I'm using aspen leaf litter and will do so for the first few months to get lots of biological stuff going in the substrate because aspen breaks down somewhat fast then i'll use magnoila leaves.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome!

Just read and read and read, see trends in what people say, ask questions, try to find out/figure out if people have been in the hobby a long time...

And again welcome...

Brian

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Did you out the T5 on the tank?
It doesn't look very bright at all.
I'd be worried about the substrate causing impactation...
I think you should do some moss and leaf litter.
I would have done a false bottom....

You should have came here first and learned the ways of these Jedi PDF masters on here lol
I haven't seen as much detail and whatnot like I do here...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
welcome, coolest 17 year old in the known universe,

your tank is fantastic. I hope i can do as well on mine. I am ready to great stuff but chicken to dive in and do it.

After your shrinkage, would you recommend I silicone the back of the tank first?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you out the T5 on the tank?
It doesn't look very bright at all.
I'd be worried about the substrate causing impactation...
I think you should do some moss and leaf litter.
I would have done a false bottom....

You should have came here first and learned the ways of these Jedi PDF masters on here lol
I haven't seen as much detail and whatnot like I do here...
Yup. It was actually on in the last picture but I turned the light setting on the camera so it looks dramatic. It's quite a bit brighter. I did end up doing a FB, but nothing to huge. I added more leaf litter and am thinking of getting moss soon, when my auratus hops around he gets a bit covered in soil, but takes a soak in the moist leaves. I've changed some things from the picture. I'll post a new picture in a few mins. Compaction? Never heard of a dart getting it. I'll cover everything with moss/litter soon.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Shot at 2011-08-16

Shot at 2011-08-16

Shot at 2011-08-16

Added a tad too many FFs a few days ago...

Shot at 2011-08-16

Shot at 2011-08-16

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welcome, coolest 17 year old in the known universe,

your tank is fantastic. I hope i can do as well on mine. I am ready to great stuff but chicken to dive in and do it.

After your shrinkage, would you recommend I silicone the back of the tank first?
I don't think thats the issue, but it mighthelp. I heard the issue is gas buildup and when it starts to release, it shrinks the foam. I heard that you should poke holes into the foam while it's curing to safely let the gasses out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts