Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although this is a dart frog forum, I have decided to document the construction of my upcoming Uroplatus vivarium on Dendroboard.

This vivarium will be housing 1.1 Uroplatus Sikorae Sikorae, which are medium sized leaf tail geckos from Madagascar. Being an arboreal species, I decided to use an 18 x 20 x 24 hexagonal aquarium, which will contain a large buttress centerpiece.

I purchased the tank for 45$ on Kijiji, but decided to scrap the custom made wood lid and had acrylic cut to size, which I then drilled to provide ventilation and avoid condensation on the glass. I then attached two handles, to facilitate the removal of the lid as well as 6 metal supports.

Here are some pictures of my current progress:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stump has been coated with silicone and then tree fern fiber and left outside to dry. Im looking into adding some lichens to give it a more organic look.
Pics to come.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love it when there is a centerpiece like the one you are making in the hex tanks. Just a thing to watch out for, I used plexiglass and drilled holes like you did in a bigger tank and as soon as the humidity and heat came up the plexi kept bending in the center opening up cracks on the sides big enough for the food to crawl out of. Just something to watch out for.

Curtis

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love it when there is a centerpiece like the one you are making in the hex tanks. Just a thing to watch out for, I used plexiglass and drilled holes like you did in a bigger tank and as soon as the humidity and heat came up the plexi kept bending in the center opening up cracks on the sides big enough for the food to crawl out of. Just something to watch out for.

Curtis

One of the perks of having no background is that the crickets cannot escape since the stump is not in contact with any potential exits. I used the same brand of plexi as my dart frog viv, and that has held up for 2 years already.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
The vivarium looks great, but I really do not think it's suitable for housing Uroplatus sikorae long term. There's not enough ventilation, and not not any suitable perching locations for the geckos. They prefer smooth bark on limbs with a 2-6" diameter, placed vertically or nearly so, to roost on during the day. I've used cherry limbs with much success.

Put some darts in it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vivarium looks great, but I really do not think it's suitable for housing Uroplatus sikorae long term. There's not enough ventilation, and not not any suitable perching locations for the geckos. They prefer smooth bark on limbs with a 2-6" diameter, placed vertically or nearly so, to roost on during the day. I've used cherry limbs with much success.

Put some darts in it!
The ventilation concerns have been addressed. As for the stump, I have seen many exhibits both online and in person with similar textures being used. Here are some images where the Uroplatus can be found on a moss covered tree without the smooth textures of cherry wood

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Yes, they look nice when people pose them on moss for pictures, but that is not what they are adapted for. I think you will find that the geckos will spend most, if not all, of their time during the say asleep on the glass.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's an absolutely amazing tank, however I also do not believe it is suitable for uroplatus. They need more branches (including one or two horizontal ones) to climb/perch on, not just one central stump. That tank will not be enriching enough for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts