Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, New to the forum, but I've recently been getting into frogs /vivariums and the construction of them. I am about to begin constructing a 35 gal hexagon vivarium, inhabited by my current and soon to be frogs. I will be getting 2 White's tree frogs in addition to my northern leopard frog and 2 wood frogs. I understand the danger in mixing species, but after doing my research, all 3 of these frogs seem to be safe to keep together. non are toxic, require different living conditions (other than the obvious) and all have the same diet.

Back to the build: so far I have a 80-100 dollar budget, not much but I think I will be able to make it work with relative ease. I have decided on a Great Stuff/Silicone/ Eco-Earth background.

With the GS I will be able to carve and create hides and plant spaces at my will :).

I chose Eco-Earth as my substrate/background because live plants grow well in it, and it's pretty inexpensive. I will not be doing a false bottom, less cost and Gravel works as well. I won't be doing a waterfall like I hoped, I think :(
due to costs. I will however carve a path for a waterfall in the great stuff, just in case I do decide to. I am working on pictures, but the tank I am going to be using is almost identical to this :
(20" across, x24" tall)

Any thoughts/Suggestions/Opinions? Thanks, I would love to hear from the many knowledgable members I have learned a lot from on this forum, Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My friend constructed a base for the screen top yesterday, so I will be attaching the window screen this weekend. The cans of GS that I had turned out to be bad, so I will be doing that this weekend as well. any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well i thought gravel would be cheaper but it is def expensive!! It also wheighs a ton!! You can use anything for the false bottom if going for cheap! Steal a hand carrier from and grocery store! lol But you get the idea anything with holes even if its alot smaller it will save you that much on amount of rock you have to buy. The most expensive thing will be you silicone that stuff is not cheap at almost $7 a bottle and takes me 6 for a 18x18x24 and only takes and 1 1/2 cans of GS. Also to cover the bottom use the weed blocker really cheap and works great!! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did a false bottom for my tank with egg crate and then i wedged gravel inbetween it and the glass so that the false bottom didnt show. It made it look nice.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just a heads up, keep a close eye on the foam... The red can has a shrinkage problem and coming off the glass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just looked at the foam as I was walking out the door, Wow, it expanded a lot more than the other can for some reason. The top of the foam is about 4 inches from the glass.gonna be doing some serious carving tonight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts