Dendroboard banner

Herphappy12 (Kevin's) First Viv Build

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Herphappy12 
#1 ·
So I decided to should probably make this thread now before I actually get started on building it. I haven't quite settled on a tank size yet, but will have by the end of the day (I need to find something that fits nicely on my dresser). I have 4x 10g, 1x 20l, 1x 20h, and my zoomed 18"x18"x24" tall front opening tank to my disposal. The zoomed won't fit, hangs off so I'm looking at the 20s if not my 20l for some teribilis then going vert with the 20h for some thumbs....probably a pair or trio of imitator 'tarapoto'.

I already have a tube of silicone for the walls, need to hit up lowes, but won't be able to till next Wednesday....staring at an empty tank stinks! :p

Well hope people tune in as this is my first....and won't be the last of my viv building career.

Also, not sure on the theme yet, most likely a little rock section on the wall with a waterfall...maybe a stump, we'll see!

Thanks guys and gals,
Kevin B

#2 ·
So I decided to go with my 20 high, seem the most appropriate for broms and orchids. Plus more space to scape with.

Here it is on the dresser it will reside on, it need a good cleaning and razor scrapping but it'll clean up nice. I also have a tube of clear silicone that ill be applying to the walls of it tomorrow. Getting pretty hyped about the build now!

#3 ·
Day #1 of build!

Took the tank outside and scrapped it down with a razor blade the best I could, then did a vinegar bath to get what else I could off the glass.

Sitting drying

Collected a bag of these nice big oak leaves ill use eventually while I waited for that tank to dry.

The tools for siliconing!

The end product with the two sides and back siliconed *note to self, wear gloves next time working with silicone*.

Next up is getting my eggcrate for the false bottom, a small pump for my little water feature, and some great stuff to play with! I will have to wait till Wednesday to get that stuff though, so stay tuned in!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
So found another tube of ge silicone unused that I had saved for when I was building my salt water reef. So ill have that for applying the cocoa fiber and such to the GS, which I actually miht be able to get what I need today id I can swing it. If not it'll still have to wait till Wednesday. :(

#8 ·
I don't have a reef anymore but I will be finishing my 36 bowfront sometime in the future. I'm really excited to be getting into frogs.

#10 ·
Well my last 20L reef failed since I was jobless so I am doing this tank right and very high tech. It's going to be pretty much all automated and have either Halides or LEDs....it will be SPS dominant so I am not sure on lighting as LEDs don't really show off some SPS true color light Halides do from what I've heard. Either way it's going to be nice, and be able to be monitored/controlled by my cell phone when I'm at work or out of the house. ;)

#16 ·
So changed it up and am HOPEFULLY getting a proven pair of Matecho, so I will be doing a 10gallon for now, but will be upgrading them to a 20L in the months to come. So I have to start from square one and redo the siliconing and such I will be going to Lowes today to get the following to finish the build by next week.

-Egg Crate (which is actually called this at my Lowes, I said light diffuser and they stared at me for like 15 minutes jaws agap.)
-Great Stuff
-GE Silicone II Brown....getting quite a few. ;)
-Sphagnum Moss
-Checking out lighting (bulbs, dome fixtures, ect.)
-fiberglass cloth
-and maybe if they have a plant or two I like I will pick it up.

I will also be hitting up the pet stores to check on prices before I order a bunch of stuff. Chances are they won't be cheaper...but who knows sometimes they are.

WISH ME LUCK!

#17 ·
Okay got started on the 10g yesterday after I got back from Lowes.

The goods! (Tank has already been siliconed in this pic for better grip of the GS.

I also made my false bottom, but I don't have pics of that yet as I did it later at night.

I also have the pair of Tinc 'Matecho's waiting for the tank to be finished so they can ship.

I also ordered a bunch from josh this morning including:

20 cups and lids
1 big bad of excelsior
1 gal of ABG
5qt of hydrotron
1 blooming and 2 just started cultures of both malanogaster and hydei
Hydei media
Malanogaster start kit (small)
1 jumbo termperate spring culture
1 jumbo tropical spring culture
2lb charcoal
...and I think that's it.

There is also a terrestrial viv lid from junglebox ordered too....I have a feeling this will be the last to arrive.

I will be ordering some plants tonight too most likely.

Will take plenty of pics!

#21 ·
Update:

Has substrate now but the amount is less than the pics I took some out.

I also added a couple cuttings from a plant I have, not sure the name
But I bleached in a 10% solution for 10 mins then a water dip for another 10 before it went in. I'm just waiting for my junglebox top to come + my plants from Mike should be here today or tomorrow and the Matechos can come!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.