Dendroboard banner

Here Is My FF Culturing Method...

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Neontra 
#1 ·
This is an expansion on a previous thread:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...h-ff-culture-mix-have-before-adding-them.html

And here is a fresh culture awaiting flies(In about 2 secs ;) )! The other is the producing culture. The downside of TP rolls is that they break down fast(with Hydei only, melanogaster do not take the same toll on the rolls). I will add banana peel scraps, and another piece of TP when it is becoming "logged".

JBear Food Dish Cuisine Ingredient Side dish

Mason jar Insect Plant

JBear

See less See more
#3 ·
If a few winged FFs get into a culture is it a problem? In one of my older cultures that at first wasn't sealed correctly, a few winged FFs got in, i've been trying my best to get rid of them during feeding, and my frog has eaten a few of them.

#6 ·
This I'm not too sure about. I believe that the mutations that cause the wingless and flightless mutations are deletion mutations, and if so a change in temperature would not rescue the phenotype. In this scenario I think that you might have gotten some sort of cross-contamination with the wild type flies.

#8 ·
#9 ·
If you have fliers in the cultures and the cultures were not exposed to excessively high temperatures, then unless you can individually select the new flies for the next cultures you have to toss the culture as you won't be able to eliminate the fliers. Otherwise you have to deal with having flighted flies through the house.

Ed

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, it definitively sucks when you open a culture and flies fly out. When i got my fliers, i had them in my closet. I believed that the temp significantly rose;therefore, introducing fliers. I cant seem to have any other reason for my cultures to have fliers.

#10 ·
I stand corrected then. I also wasn't aware that there were 4 different types of mutants used in the hobby: Frog Forum - Fruit Fly Culturing, Care and Feeding - Everything you need to know about Drosophila

So yeah, it seems that the vestigial mutant is indeed temperature sensitive according to the link. I have wingless flies, and the temperature where they are cultured has risen above 81F several times, and this was not rescued the phenotype of the developing flies.

I'm still pretty sure that the wingless phenotype is caused by a change in the wg gene (although it might not be a deletion as I thought before). I have not found evidence that the wingless phenotype is rescued by temperature, even though the vestigial or flightless mutation is:
Interactive Fly, Drosophila
Interactive Fly, Drosophila

#13 ·
Unless you were able to pick out females that have not mated then you cannot be sure that you have removed the fliers..
You need to only use unmated females to start the next culture and allow them to only mate with wingless males..

Ed

#20 ·
This sounds just about as interesting to have to do as in making baby chicks into capon material....please don't tell me this is in any way practical...or someone just has too much time on their hands or is getting paid to do it...just really gets my brain going...

#21 ·
It is used to either demonstrate how different gene combinations work or to isolate out new mutations. Since the flies can retain sperm for different matings, you wouldn't be able to know how the cross worked out unless you could use unmated females.

making capons is a little different...

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.