Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found centipedes in one of my vivs, at fist I thought they were milipedes but upon further inspection I realized that they were infact centipedes. What would be the best way to get rid of these little pest? I have killed about 6 but I keep on finding them. Can they harm my frogs?

Thank's Matt

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm not sure if they could actually harm the frogs - I guess it depends on the size of the centipede. My guess would be that it might not be safe for the frogs though.

I would remove the frogs to a temporary setup and CO2 bomb the tank. It might take a couple of times though. I'd plan on housing the frogs 'temporarily' for a month to make sure. I'm not sure how long centipede eggs take to hatch so it might be a lengthy battle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the thread, but it doesn't specify how to use a CO2 tank from a paintball gun. It seems like that would be the easiest way, plus I already have one. I would do the vinegar/baking soda method, but that calls for a lot of baking soda and vinegar since I have an 18x18x24 Exo.

How much do I need, how many times do I need to do it, and how to do it?

Thank's Matt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seeing as I don't have a coiled remote and don't want to spend so much money on one, I've decided to do the vinegar/baking soda method.

What I want to know is does CO2 kill centipede eggs? I also want to know if putting the tube into the soil will kill the centipedes/eggs faster? I was thinking of putting a tube in each corner and one in the middle to pump the CO2 throughout the soil. How long should I air out the tank for before placing the frogs back in?

Thank's Matt

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have found the easiest way is dry ice. Meijers sells more than enough to do a 70 gallon tank for $7. Just put some pieces in a cup and set in the viv. I place te cup on something so its elevated in tank. As long as its about 4" or so from the plants, it shouldn't freeze anything. If you have a paint ball tank, you just need to open the valve with the opening in or dierctly above the tank. I usually drop in a couple ff's to make sure that its working, they normally die right away. If its not killing the flys, itsnot killing anything else. I seal the tank and let it sit for a day or so, maybe do it again. Then I put a fan over the tank blowing in for a hour or two.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found the easiest way is dry ice. Meijers sells more than enough to do a 70 gallon tank for $7. Just put some pieces in a cup and set in the viv. I place te cup on something so its elevated in tank. As long as its about 4" or so from the plants, it shouldn't freeze anything. If you have a paint ball tank, you just need to open the valve with the opening in or dierctly above the tank. I usually drop in a couple ff's to make sure that its working, they normally die right away. If its not killing the flys, itsnot killing anything else. I seal the tank and let it sit for a day or so, maybe do it again. Then I put a fan over the tank blowing in for a hour or two.
Thank's for the help mcaiger, I might have to give dry ice a try. Instead of putting dry ice directly in the tank could I do a seperate chamber outside the tank and have it pump trough a tube similar to the vinegar and baking soda method. Who knows I might stick with the the paintball co2 method.

Thank's again Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts