Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of leuc eggs that are just hatching out as I type. :lol: What I need to know is this: at what point do I put it in more water? The last thing I read about this was someone said I'd know when it was ready. The tad isnt that active now. He does move, just only with stimulus (to be honest, I havent stared at him all day long, just for about 20 minutes or so.)

I have a tad tank set up for it when it gets older, but how do I know at what point he wont drown? That concept seems amorphous to me for some reason.

And when do I offer food?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
just put it uin water now mate.

the tads are fine to swim in water right after they hatch :)

cheers

Jono

·
Registered
561 Posts
My leuc tads do not move much when they first hatch, and they will sink right to the bottom when you put them in water. I remove mine from the petri dishes with a small spoon and usually do not put any food in with them for a day or so. but I know people that feed them right away. They key is not to feed too much or the water will foul.
Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
d

I've got some good aged water with lotsa green growth prepared for them. Was it a dream that someone told me that tadpoles can drown or is that possible?

Hey, thanks for your help so far! I'm really enjoying these little buggers.

water temp of 75 sound good?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d

another important question...

how do you know if youre not feeding them enough? is there a buffer there? I mean, do they get skinny (as a warning) or do they just die if you dont feed enough?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When mine first come out of the egg I keep them in about 1/2" water until I see them swimming good then I add about 3" of more water. I don't feed them for the first few days then I just sprinkle a little tad powder(spirilina and chlorella algae) at first until I see they have been eating by seeing their watse in the bottm then I go about feeding them regularly.
I try and feed mine about every other day and use a turkey baster to suck out about 1/2 the water. I use RO water mixed with oak leaves.Nothing fancy.I just use a cleaned out Gatorade bottle and shove in a few leaves. As you will find out there are alot of different ways to do this.
Good luck,
Mark W.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just chuck my tads into a 4" water straight from hatching!

not had 1 drown yet!

also feed them 1 to 2 times a day... just a small amount of food :)

Jono

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
d

do they get skinny if they dont eat enough or do they just puke out and die?? :shock: :shock:

seems like a fine line of feeding too much to foul the water and not feeding enough and .... not knowing how to tell if they arent getting enough!

·
Registered
850 Posts
The tadpoles won't get skinny if they do not have enough food. If they are underfed they will grow extremely slow and might morph with SLS. I have never had any tadpoles die that I can contribute to not enough food. Most tadpoles are suprisingly forgiving. There really isn't a fine line when it come to feeding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Here's a pic of a couple of vent tadpoles that hatched on saturday.

bah or not... I guess you can't link to images on yahoo... and the server I've been using at home to host images keeps shutting off by itself.... bah.

Should I start feeding them yet? or are they still absorbing their yolk? they're lazy things, everytime I look at them I think they're dead... but they're still growing and move about time to time.

-Tad

·
Registered
850 Posts
Tadpoles hardly ever move until they start popping out legs. Never assume a tadpole is dead. I have had tadpoles that wouldn't even move when I nudged them or swiled the water, and they ended up fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
d

so they just sit on their stump till their legs come in in a few months huh?

My first one was up swimming around the top of the 20 long yesterday apparently trying to make a bid for freedom. When I noticed it, the little guy promptly settled to the bottom and looked placid again. I think its just a tad conspiracy.

ps. I'm odd. I have on 20 high with 2 alanis tincs in it. I call that one the "tinc tank". I have a 40 breeder with 2 cobalts in it, and I call that one the "tinc tank take two". I have problems, huh? :roll:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Tadpoles that are kept in larger group bins seem to move more, mostly because they feel the need to be by the surface of water. In our group bin (only holds certains species) the tadpoles gather in the shallowest spots, while deep end (2" at most) is vacant. For the most part though, young tadpoles hardly move unless disturbed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts