Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Dendros! I have been a lurker on this forum for a few months now, soaking in as much information as possible before I begin my own venture into the fascinating world of PDFs this spring!

I have seen Pumilo's thread regarding the creation of homemade screen vents, however upon utilizing the search feature I cannot find what vent sizes are considered the best/dendroboard standard in ensuring appropriate airflow across different vivarium sizes.

I will be having a 60 x 24 x 30 (L x W x H inches) glass vivarium constructed with a glass top and dual hinged front opening doors. My idea was to have a glass cutter leave open space for screened vents, 1 at the back-centre of the lid, and another at the front underneath the hinged doors. My question is, to ensure proper airflow for the health of the frogs/plants while not sacrificing extreme amounts of humidity, what should the dimensions of these screened vents be?

If any other info is required I will be glad to provide it. All help is much appreciated!

Best Regards,
Nate.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There isn’t really a standard size for ventilation since it will be unique to your home and the conditions of the room your frogs are kept in. I think you’re off too a great start with having a vent both on the lid and under the doors, that is the best way to keep dart frogs. As far as how much, you have to make a bit of an estimation, but keep in mind that it is very easy to cover up a vent if you have too much, and can be excruciatingly difficult to add more if you have too little. On my tanks, I personally do 1.5 inches under the doors, and 3 inches on the lid, which is enough to offput the heat from my lights and keep the tanks from becoming stagnant, without sacrificing too much humidity since I’m usually running the AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response Gonzalez!

To ensure I am understanding correctly, does your 1.5 inch vent span the entire front of the vivarium? Does the 3 inch wide vent span the entire length of the lid?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yes, they span the entire length of the vivarium. You could do less ventilation or could do more, that’s just what works for me. Don’t be afraid of adding too much, there are a lot of newbies with tanks that are too wet, and they are very easy to cover up with plastic wrap or a separate piece of glass if your tank is too dry. If you have automatic misting I highly doubt you will ever struggle keeping that 60%-80% range. It gives you more room to figure out what works for you since adding more is a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.