Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Partial Woohoo. I have two tadpoles that I know of from my almirante pums. I had misted alot lately and was going to drain their tank today, but when I went to drain it, I noticed that my pum's had transported the tads to this little pool that had accumulated in the corner. They're both in there, I don't want a cannibal party, and I want to drain. Can I put them in the film canisters myself and them find them? what should I do? Any advice would be great, although something tells me I just have to wait this out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It sounds like you have a rather unfortunate situation. This is a situation that I have had a lot of experience with as well- sadly.

If you move the tads the parents will not take care of them. On the other hand, this small pool sounds like it may not be the most suitable place for the tads to be. They are egg eaters and not cannibals- so don't worry about that. I would just wait it out and see if the water is permanent enough for them to raise the tads- most likely one or both will not make it.

Good luck,

Justin

·
Registered
292 Posts
If, in fact, the pool of water is permanent and you believe the tadpoles were transported there by the parents, then they could both make it as long as parental care continues. I had an instance in which a bribri pair deposited two tads in the same container (glass breeding cup) at different times. There was about 2 weeks time separating the tads, so development was at different stages. Each tad morphed successfully, although they seemed to take each one about a week longer than normal to morph out (probably due to food competition).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help guys. I still have to think about what I am going to do. The "pool" is in the corner of my 10 gallon vert.If it gets too deep it'll get over the gravel and they'll venture out to other areas of the tank. I might try to do the whole canister burial idea and see what happens. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Kasey-

Another suggestion would be to go to a garden store, get a small cutting of a pond liner and or a black or clear tarp, cut it to fit the pool, remove the tads and place them in the artificial pool as quickly as possible. Then you can drain your tank without disturbing the tads and the pool will at least look similiar to the one the parents originally deposited in. Hope this helps.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Can you just drain off a little of the water at a time? If you are worried about the water level getting too high, then I would periodically just drain or siphon off enough water to keep the pool about the size it is now. I really wouldn't try to mess with the tads at all if you want them to live.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tads

Thanks for all of the suggestions. What I was going to do was just siphon out some of the water so that the tad wouldn't go anywhere. I didn't know where the other tad went. He probably ventured off somewhere. But when I went to drain it, the tad swam to the very bottom of my tank through the gravel. I panicked at first and tried to get to him but I couldn't, so I gave up. I figured they'd breed again soon, and that this was just a learned lesson. Well I decided to drain my tank like I always do. I don't have a "drainage" system for my 10g vert. This is what I do: I take a clear hose and stick in down to close to the bottom of the gravel, and I take a turkey baster to the other end. You give it a squeeze and instant sipon. Well I checked the water in the cup just in case after I was done and I got the little guy! the suction was so strong it sucked him right up into the cup. So I cleared away an area where the pool was and put him in a film canister and covered the rocks around it. Hope this works-- fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could be wrong but I think that they laid again today in the same spot as last time-- is this common?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts