Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 1/4" glass scrap, I want to make a 12"wide x 12" deep x 18" high viv, can someone tell me what size to get the glass cut? Just need the measurements for the top, bottom, sides and back, the front I will custom make doors for. Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
top and bottom: 12x12
back: 17.5 x 11.5
sides: 17.5 x 11.5

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I want the front to be 1/8" thick glass should I add an extra 1/8" to the side measurements?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would just add the 1/8" to the bottom - but it's a matter of preference. It depends on how your doors will be attached, if you want the doors flush or sticking out, etc. Are you going to have a lower static section of glass below the doors on the front?

Ever played with google sketchup? It's free. Takes a few minutes to learn but will save you a ton of headaches.

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
The more I think about this the more I would suggest that you plan this out a little better.

How is your front going to open? hinges or slides? how do the hinges attach? How much space is required for them - do they allow for flush or must they be proud of the side glass? If slides, how much room does the track take up? Are you going with 2 doors or one? Do you have a jig for keeping the glass in place while the silicone cures? If not, how are you going to make the jig? If you're going to use wood - do you have the proper tools? If not, do you have a source to get the jig made?

You get my point - planning, planning, planning.

- ryan

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, lots of planning, im going with one peice open down door, making a silicone hinge, all will sit flush, ill have to look at this sketch thing when I get hime, thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Cool. So if you are doing everything flush then you need to extend the top, bot and side the thickness of the front glass. If you are using the silicone hinge (live hinge type done with silicone) as outlined by GRIMM (custom-silicone-hinged-glass-top.html) then you need to address the 1/2" of silicone used to actually make the hinge, so don't forget that part. Plus you'll need to consider the 1/8" bead he suggests around the outside of the glass.

PM me if you're stuck on sketchup - i'll be happy to help. Lots of online tutorials though. I use it all the time for making plans for woodworking projects, etc (i.e., did all my kitchen cabinets in google before ever cutting a piece of wood).

- ryan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check your email. There is a sketchup gift in there. Total outside dimensions are as you specified. Also you've got your screen goodies with live hinge and all the beading you should need.

A quick peek here in jpeg format.

Let me know if you have questions. FYI - anyone else, if you want the sketchup file that I created here, just PM me.

- ryan

Credit goes to the Dendroboard and GRIMM specifically with input from EDHURL. I just translated everything into Sketchup.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet, just so everyone knows ill be building this, but the screen will be in a fixed position and my front door might sit a little different, ill let ya guys know after I hear back from rsain.

·
Registered
272 Posts
top and bottom: 12x12
back: 17.5 x 11.5
sides: 17.5 x 11.5
Wait, don't cut those.

Sides should be 17.5 x 12

But you're probably going to realize that anyways with your sketchup model.

I'm a cabinetmaker myself, but I've always gone the pencil and paper method for my cutlists.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hijack - sketchup does an excellent cutlist for cabinets (it's an add-on). Gives each sheet dimension and it does layout work for you too to maximize space usage per sheet.

I also have mine do all my drawers and rails stiles, etc. Hit the button once and go buy wood.

- ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts