Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on a new build, and I have been trying to make a removable water feature similar to a table top waterfall. 3 attempts all failed
I have been using polystyrene sheets I purchased at lowes on the most recent attempt.
Every time I get the basic structure built, I test it for leaks before moving forward, and every time the polystyrene foam sheets leak like crazy. I have even tried sealing the entire project in silicone, but nothing seems to work.
Would drylok paint work?
How about tile grout?
I really have my heart set on being able to completely remove the water feature from my viv as needed for cleaning.
I was thinking of sealing the exterior of the structure with either the drylok or tile grout before moving forward with the design to waterproof it

Here is a list of materials in my project room, any suggestions would be great.
Great stuff (1can), Tile grout (unsanded), Quikcrete mix (20# bucket), Acrylic fortifier, X-clear non toxic sealant, drylok paint, silicone (GE1), hot glue gun

·
Registered
330 Posts
I would use a piece of plastic sheeting for this over polystyrene. I have had great luck with lids from old strrilites. I cut them to size and they are solid enough to hold up without being too rigid. I seal the edges with aquarium sealent and since they are a bit on the soft side you can trim further if needed once it is sealed into place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pubfiction, yes I am using white 3/4 in thick polystyrene sheets from lowes that are 13.8" wide and 48" tall. Here is a link to the product I am using on their website.
Shop Perma "R" Products R2.9 Unfaced Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (Common: 0.75-in x 1.13-ft x 4-ft; Actual: 0.75-in x 1.13-ft x 4-ft) at Lowes.com
Adhesion and/or cracks are not the problem. There seem to be little pores throughout the foam that are allowing water to pass through them. I would just seal the entire inside in Silicone, but then I would not be able to paint over it later.
I saw a few DIY waterfall tutorials where they use similar products and seal them with 3 layers of grout followed by a layer or 2 of paint, and then a layer of clear sealant. Do you think that would work out in the long run?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Well I would not try to leak check until you are done with the process. I would just get rid of that white polystyrene and switch over to the more firm green or pink sheets. I think they are more rigid and less likely to flex. The white stuff you are using must be a really poor insulator if its leaking strait through.

I really cannot make a call on the grout, grout is tends to crack. What kind of paint are you planning to use?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts