Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I am getting ready to set up my first paludarium. I am planning on having just a few frogs and a few fish (swamp tank not amazon). I will be doing a GS background. There will be minimal water flow and I will be using a wet/dry sump for filtration. Since this is my first background ever, needless to say, I am a bit nervous. I am thinking of doing the background on a thin (1/2 inch) foam insulation from HD. That way I can do the complete background outside of the tank and if I make any major mistakes I can scrap it and start over. That way when the background is complete I can just silicon the whole sheet onto the back of the tank. Some of the insulation background will be under water so I am thinking of using silicone and not actually putting coco fiber on part that will be under water (it will just come off). Tell me what you think of this idea and if it makes sense to you. Also, are there any step by step tutorials (you tube?) that you would suggest I look that would show how to do a GS background step by step. Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I plan on spraying on the GS, then silicone on top of GS and then coco fiber and sphagnum moss over the silicon. I have also made some vines using rope. Should I press the vines in the GS or wait until the GS hardens and then put on the vine with silicone?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I like using the pond GS. Its black. So it you have a thin spot or miss a spot its no biggy. Plus looks a lot better from outside the tank. I used a couple different substances on my surface. Plantation soil on some, and a peat sphagnum mixture on others. Doesnt really matter, just make sure its DRY.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I like using a mixture of coco and peat to cover the bg. The peat is very fine and seems to cover much better than plain coco. The differences in color and texture look better as well. Waiting until the gs dries would be the safer bet with the vines, especially if you need to move them around to perfect the placement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts