Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, So I thought the glass top would contain the flie, but no, they are all over my apartment which really grosses me out. How do I fix this? Is there a tighter fitting glass top I can buy? Is there a simple way to modify my current glass top as to not allow as many to escape?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Amanda

Btw, Happy Easter everybody.

G

·
Get some spiders .... :) .... lol. Check you tank's top. If a fly can get out, the frogs will soon follow. So plug it all up!

·
Registered
79 Posts
There are two ways to fix the problem:

One- Buy more frogs. Enough so all of the flies are eaten before they can find their way out. (my preferred method)

Two- Get a fly container put about a 1/4 inch of media in it with a 1/4 cup of water and a very few yeast grains. If you do not want to use media you can also use a piece of fruit. Then set it on or near the frog tank. Within about an hour a most of the flies will be in the cup and just put them back in the tank.

Doug

·
Registered
886 Posts
A frog tank can certainly be made fly-proof. I use duct tape to seal the back portion of the lid directly to the frame of the tank. The front, which obviously needs to be opened regularly, should fit snug against the rim. I've found that a lot of flies escape from the hinge on conventional glass aquarium lids. This is easily fixed by cutting a thin/short piece of sponge. With the lid fully open, put the sponge into the space between the two pieces of glass (where there is usually a gap between the glass and the rim). A piece of aluminum foil works well too... let the lid do the smushing so that it fits exactly, and leave a small piece inside and outside the tank flared so that it won't slip either direction.

A small piece of fruit in the tank will also keep flies from wandering, but don't give up on sealing the tank... it is very possible. When you add flies next time, watch the tank for a while to see where they are escaping. Any McGyver style fix is good.

Josh

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
hicksonj said:
Get some spiders .... :) .... lol. Check you tank's top. If a fly can get out, the frogs will soon follow. So plug it all up!
I dunno about that. I just can't see an adult tinc, azureus, or terribillis squeezing through the same hole as a fruit fly.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Yeah, nice try Joe, but the little holes that I have releasing a few flies aren't going to see any frogs follow! :wink:

G

·
I stand by my rule of thumb! Many people can attest to loosing frogs that escaped from TINY holes. I don't see a giant orange escaping from the same hole as a metamorph retic, but why not just get into the practice of securing everything.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Fly proofing a tank is good for so many reasons, less escapes means more available food and less flies crawlin around your house. Not to mention it means never having to worry about escaped frogs. We accomplish this by cutting glass to fit ourselves, foggy tanks can be wiped down, so we deal with it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, the tank needs to be made fly (and frog) proof. Am I understanding that the best (and not unattractive) method of doing this is to get a piece of glass custom cut to fit the top of the tank? Is there anything else I should know before I call my local glass shop on Monday?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I like to take the tanks with me, before we cut them, Zach never gets them right the first time and if i have the tank there we can fix it before I take it home. It only takes the smallest margin for it to be to big and then your back to gaps that let flies out. It should be really cheap, like a min. of $5 or $10. I have some extras, that i dont need if you can wait till next month ill let you have one free, cause half the time we use scrap glass and just get the lids for free. The most we have to pay is cost and thats almost free. Ten gallons right, i have several of those, laying around, they just need to be clean up a bit.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I always find flys crawlin around my bed because my racks are so close to it, but it doesnt bother me. There really isnt much of a reason to worry about the flys hangin out. Except when this one girl comes over she says that seeing all the cultures of ffs makes her whole body itch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts