Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my wife told my daughters pre-school teacher i had dart frogs. turns out they are learning about frogs this week. so she asked me if i could bring some in. as i have some baby froglets(Azureus) and tads i said ok. Now what i need help trying to get as much info on dart frogs for 4 and 5 years olds. I don't want to go too much into detail as it might be boring. So i need help planning such adventer for the kids.

so far i have a coloring sheet of the frog. basic name if frog and tell how old it is. and if i bring tads in tell hold they frog there legs and such. but what else?

·
Registered
238 Posts
A lot of people find it interesting that the frogs lay the eggs on the ground, then when the eggs hatch the tads get "piggy back rides" to a puddle. (Kid lingo) you could tell them how in some species, the mom feeds them eggs for breakfast !

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Whenever I give presentations to kids that age, I touch on the frog's life cycle (might compare it to a butterfly), their sensitivity to pollution, and their bright warning colors (like a bee).

I always point out that, while they may be dangerous in the wild, they are harmless in captivity.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It's funny you post this, my daughter's pre-school (3 and 4 year olds) had me do this for them the last two years. This has been so popular with the students and the teachers and some others (parents, others who were just curious). My daughter is now in kindergarten AND they want me back by popular demand. The kids are VERY curious at this age and they will surprise you with what they already know. I usually bring about 20 or so frogs and a few tree frogs and of course my huge female red-eye. (aka Diego's frog.. Dora the Explorer's cousin). They go nuts over the colors; from an orange mantella to the yellow on a Matecho or citronella, to the gold on a bassleri, metallic greens of an auratus to the reds of a cristobal pumilio or a tiny reticulatus and finally to everyones favorite the BLUE AZUREUS!! I am doing two presentations on May 20th at the pre-school. My daughter is actually taking that afternoon off to speak at the afternoon presentation. Then again on May 27th at my daughters elementary school (for K, 1st and 2nd grades). I usually give out little plastic frogs (found at most dollar stores) and a coloring sheet full of frogs to color after they see my frogs. The teacher has a little contest and the winner and his/her family are invited to see my entire collection. It will be hugely rewarding to you and let your child participate.

I start out by saying how many have ever seen a 'BLUE' frog and most say there is no such thing as a 'blue' frog and I show them the overall favorite of the show the azureus. I then ask/tell them about the unique life cycle and they are hooked on all the colors.. I have a slideshow running on a small DVD player for them to watch and they pull a lot of questions from that as well.

The three year olds that saw a show last year are excited to have me coming back in. But big secret, I think I'm more excited than they are!!..

They are the future of this planet and we got to get to them as soon as we can to save species.. So, why not in pre-school.. lol...

Best of Luck and let me know how you make out..

Peter Keane

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's funny you post this, my daughter's pre-school (3 and 4 year olds) had me do this for them the last two years. This has been so popular with the students and the teachers and some others (parents, others who were just curious). My daughter is now in kindergarten AND they want me back by popular demand. The kids are VERY curious at this age and they will surprise you with what they already know. I usually bring about 20 or so frogs and a few tree frogs and of course my huge female red-eye. (aka Diego's frog.. Dora the Explorer's cousin). They go nuts over the colors; from an orange mantella to the yellow on a Matecho or citronella, to the gold on a bassleri, metallic greens of an auratus to the reds of a cristobal pumilio or a tiny reticulatus and finally to everyones favorite the BLUE AZUREUS!! I am doing two presentations on May 20th at the pre-school. My daughter is actually taking that afternoon off to speak at the afternoon presentation. Then again on May 27th at my daughters elementary school (for K, 1st and 2nd grades). I usually give out little plastic frogs (found at most dollar stores) and a coloring sheet full of frogs to color after they see my frogs. The teacher has a little contest and the winner and his/her family are invited to see my entire collection. It will be hugely rewarding to you and let your child participate.

I start out by saying how many have ever seen a 'BLUE' frog and most say there is no such thing as a 'blue' frog and I show them the overall favorite of the show the azureus. I then ask/tell them about the unique life cycle and they are hooked on all the colors.. I have a slideshow running on a small DVD player for them to watch and they pull a lot of questions from that as well.

The three year olds that saw a show last year are excited to have me coming back in. But big secret, I think I'm more excited than they are!!..

They are the future of this planet and we got to get to them as soon as we can to save species.. So, why not in pre-school.. lol...

Best of Luck and let me know how you make out..

Peter Keane
That is awesome! My grandpa is a bee-keeper and both of us would show my elementary classes back in the day.. honey combs, honey, the process, etc. I would love to do a PDF frog lecture.. possibly when my collection gets larger

·
Registered
542 Posts
My wife is soon to be graduating college and hopefully will find a job as a elementary school teacher she wants to do 2nd or 3rd grade and she has done told me that I will be bringing my frogs in and talking about them and such. Im pretty excited I dont know as much as alot of folks on DB but I think I can manage to put something together for a 3rd grade class. Hopefully by then my collection will have grown and my froglets will be big enough to be pleasing to the eye of a small child.

We also have a baby on the way I cant wait because I want to be able to introduce frogs into my kids life and hope they take a serious interest like me in the hobby!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don't forget to bring a culture of flies.
I'm sure the boys will dig that.

Pictures of the frogs in the wild would be nice.

Not sure if you should explain how they got the name "poison dart" frog.

A slideshow of different species/morphs would be good.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That is awesome! My grandpa is a bee-keeper and both of us would show my elementary classes back in the day.. honey combs, honey, the process, etc. I would love to do a PDF frog lecture.. possibly when my collection gets larger
That's cool, very similar.. Yes, please get into the lectures of spreading your knowledge of these great Jungle Gems.. It is VERY rewarding.

Peter Keane

·
Registered
553 Posts
My wife is soon to be graduating college and hopefully will find a job as a elementary school teacher she wants to do 2nd or 3rd grade and she has done told me that I will be bringing my frogs in and talking about them and such. Im pretty excited I dont know as much as alot of folks on DB but I think I can manage to put something together for a 3rd grade class. Hopefully by then my collection will have grown and my froglets will be big enough to be pleasing to the eye of a small child.

We also have a baby on the way I cant wait because I want to be able to introduce frogs into my kids life and hope they take a serious interest like me in the hobby!
Your mission is already set before you, this is good!.. Once your child gets old enough, do include him/her in the lectures and that would make it awesome. Then you can put em to work making fruit fly cultures for like $5 a week before they start realizing what minimum wage is, LOL.. My daughter got wise early and thanks to my wifey, she now gets $1 for each culture she makes for daddy. She does alright these days for a 6-year old.

Peter Keane

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after some thought and reading here. i thought maybe just bring 3 baby blue frogs, 1 tad and 1 set of eggs isn't enough. maybe i should bring my red eye and firebelly toads. now only if could catch my vent.(not even going to try)

keep the ideas coming

·
Registered
527 Posts
i'm too young to have kids just yet, but i must say that my nieces and nephews go CRAZY for frog pictures that I send them. i took my brother's daughter on a virtual "frog tour" via facetime on his iphone recently. she was so excited to see the "jungle" that her uncle has growing in his living room.

my friend is a professional photographer and he recently promised me a book's worth of frog photos for my nieces in nephews in trade for rights to photos he takes in my frog room. i'll take that any day.

for added content on your lecture ... i think you can keep it G-rated and tell how the daddy frog sings to the mommy frog until she falls in love with him. i showed the kids a video of my amazonica courting explaining this with his "herky jerky" dance and they thought it was great.

-brett

·
Registered
553 Posts
after some thought and reading here. i thought maybe just bring 3 baby blue frogs, 1 tad and 1 set of eggs isn't enough. maybe i should bring my red eye and firebelly toads. now only if could catch my vent.(not even going to try)

keep the ideas coming
Sounds great... Yes, the red-eyes are what ALL kids recognize.. it's basically the poster frog for the tropics these days.. .I would definitely bring one.

Peter Keane

·
Banned
327 Posts
this is way late but I'm finishing a webquest on dart frogs so if you're interested pm me and I'll send it to you when I'm finished.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts