Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to Lowes and bought three plants. They are Dieffenbachia, Dracaena(lemon lime), and the third didn't have name but it looks like the Dracaena lemon lime with white lines on the edges of the leaves. Just wanted to know are they safe for my darts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dieffenbachia can be toxic, dracaena will get too large and the other is probably white jewel dracaena. I wouldn't use any of them personally.

I've found Moon Valley Pilea, Ficus Pumila, Golden Pothos, and Lemon Button Fern at Lowes which all should do well. They also have various types of Pepperomia. I once found a type of small bromeliad at Home Depot. Just make sure to rinse them thoroughly before using them in a viv.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for listing the right plants so I know what I'm looking for now. Guess I'll go back @ 8:00 a.m. LOL....

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
toxicity isnt an issue here (since the frogs wont eat the plants) but size is.

look for plants that stay small. also, hermann engelmann is notorious for mislabeling plants so you cant necessarily trust the tags.

james

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for listing the right plants so I know what I'm looking for now. Guess I'll go back @ 8:00 a.m. LOL....
You're in good company... I just made a gardening project out of the plants I bought, researched, and found out wouldn't work in a viv. Now my daughter has her own "garden" on the counter by the kitchen window full of Lowes plants.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're in good company... I just made a gardening project out of the plants I bought, researched, and found out wouldn't work in a viv. Now my daughter has her own "garden" on the counter by the kitchen window full of Lowes plants.
Lol..... That's exactly what I did with em

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
If you are unsure about what's suitable to buy then why not support a sponsor and get a plant package proven to be suitable for terrarium use?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are unsure about what's suitable to buy then why not support a sponsor and get a plant package proven to be suitable for terrarium use?
Yeah I will soon maybe but I'm more of a hands on kinda guy since Im not really comfortable sending money over the internet. We have a reptile show here in STL every third Sunday of every month I can get stuff from and Patrick from saurian lives only 25-30 min from me so kinda pointless to order over internet

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
i agree. i find that virtually ALL good plants are available online and 99% of the people selling them are legit, good people. if your really worried you can check feedback in the vendor feedback section. its not something thats easily faked. if a long time member is saying someone is reputable they they probably are.

james

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I got lucky and moved 5 miles from andys orchids... But I order a lot of stuff from Manuran online, and I buy a lot from ebay. Never been disappointed except once on eBay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts