Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my first clay background ( terrible compared to my newer one) is falling a part and I need to redo the tank soon. I don't feel comfortable taking the frogs out and I don't now how they will survive in a quarintine. I have a few questions, how do I take them out? How do I keep the temps in the 70's in the quarintine?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well, I know that some people use clear tubes to capture their frogs with. I always just tried to scoot/herd them into a small cup or film canister.

What kind of frogs do you need to catch?

Also, if you are only going to keep the frogs out of their viv for a few hours you could put them in a FF cup. Just put a paper towel in the bottom (wadded up) mist lightly and throw in some pothos/creeping fig/etc for them to hide in. I would just do 1 frog per cup.

If you are worried about temperatures just make your temp container do a test run where you monitor the temperature.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Do you have clear plastic cups, like the ones for fruit flies? I would use those and try to coax each one into a cup. One per cup because it gets tricky when you try to get the second one into the same cup as the first one, and the first one tries to jump out.

Put some damp moss or damp paper towel in the bottom.

They should be ok in there while you fix your tank up.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
There isn't any need to requarantine them unless you are treating them as well. I use the sterilite gasket boxes with some modifications as temporary enclosures (see Amazon.com: Sterilite 19322706 20-Quart Gasket Box, See-Through Lid and Base with Lime Latches, 6-Pack: Home & Garden for what they look like). They can be bought at some of the chain stores like Target. I put two two inch holes in the lid to which I hot glue fruit fly proof mesh and two more holes covered the same way lower down (about half an inch) on the end opposite the upper holes. THis allows air flow while keeping the flies inside.

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
A clear plastic tube, about 1/5 to 2" diameter, about 8" to 12" long. I'm telling you, you cannot believe how simple this makes it! If you try it one time, you will never try to catch a frog any other way. They absolutely don't even see it coming!!
Those plastic "candy canes" that you see at Christmas, the ones filled with M&Ms, are a great cheap source for one.
Don't wait too long!! It would crush me to hear that one got buried alive!

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I agree that the clear tubes are the easiest way. Another place to find them is at Lowe's or Home Depot type store. They are with the light bulbs and are called umm guards or something. Around 3 bucks and they are really long and can be cut up to lots of different sizes.

I use the tubes. Close off one end. Catch frog. Close off the other end. When it's time to go in the new tank, throw the whole tube in there (with the ends clear) and let them crawl out on their own.

Easy!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I agree that the clear tubes are the easiest way. Another place to find them is at Lowe's or Home Depot type store. They are with the light bulbs and are called umm guards or something. Around 3 bucks and they are really long and can be cut up to lots of different sizes.

I use the tubes. Close off one end. Catch frog. Close off the other end. When it's time to go in the new tank, throw the whole tube in there (with the ends clear) and let them crawl out on their own.

Easy!
Hey that's a lot better than waiting till Christmas!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will try to do it next weekend but who know's

I hope it will only take a few hours. I just hope they won't get to stressed.

The frogs have been courting and I thought I might have seen a tad on the males back.

Pumilo I will try and get a pick of the female to you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hey Rob,

I went through this about a month or so ago. Best advice I can give you is to take your time when trying to catch them and taking apart the viv. If the clay is currently stable and no more is going to fall and squish them, you're in good shape. I'd wait until the new viv is ready to go, and move them straight over. Good luck!,

Brett

1 - 10 of 10 Posts