Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty sure I dont want to do the vertical 10gal setup but I am still the R&D stage so who knows! I want to keep a pair of D Auratus in there. Since this is my 1st viv I want a cheap ecconimcal setup to gain some experience and confidence from. Here is what I have gathered so far...

+background
silicon a peice of bark to cover most of the background.
use foam to cover up the edges where the bark does not cover
coat the foam with Bed-A-Beast
Q1: how does the bed a beast stay on the foam? Do I apply bed a beast while the foam is still wet?

substrate
I planning doing a false bottom
so here is the basic layering form top to bottom:
1. Poting Soil (w/ out white perlite)
2. Window Screen
3. Gravel
4. Window Screen
5. Egg Crate
6. PVC spacers (.5-1in)
Q2: Is there a general rule of thumb about how thick these layers should be?

Waterfall
I want to do a waterfall in the middle since I have a false bottom in the planning.
The resevoiur will be the water at the bottom below the eggcrate.
I heard that I can get cheap one at hobby lobby called a hobby pump.
Q3: Will there be any water quality issues storing the water at the bottom of all the layers?
Q4: Where should I store the pump?

This is all im considering for now. I know I need to think about lighting, plants, doors and etc but I will save that for later. Baby steps...Any input on any of the aforementioned topics would be appreicated. thanks!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Q1. Bed-A-Beast stays on with the help of silicone. You can put the Bed-A-Beast on when the foam is wet, but I haven't had good luck with it staying on very well or in a nice thick way.

Q2. The thickness of false bottom is there for drainage. I used 1" PVC risers attached to the eggcrate with the screen on top of that and the soil mixture on top of it all. That is the easiet way to do it and it worked well for me...plants grew like crazy.

I hope that helps with the first 2 Q's, but you're on your own with the 3rd & 4th Q's.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A1 - After the foam dries, you cover sections in 100% silicon, then press the bed-a-beast into it. Make sure you do small sections at a time so that the silicon does not dry on you.

I'll leave the other questions for more experienced members.

-Beeswaxx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read a post about how some frogs will drown themselves in a body of water. How often does this happen? Will my waterfall into a pool of water be a bad idea?

I have to get rid of the waterfall whats another economical way to keep the humidity high?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wei,

For the top layer of your substrate, I would not use potting soil. Potting soil may compress and turn to mud in a vivarium. Most people are using Bed A Beast and Orchid Bark for the top layer of substrate.

As for frogs drowning, I have kept 5 frogs in my tank with a substantial water section and have not lost any.

Tim

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
When I said soil mixture, I was referring to what Tim said. It is a mixture of Bed-A-Beast, Orchid Mix and Sphagnum Moss. This is a very airy mixture which will keep it from turning into mud.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TimsViv said:
Wei,

For the top layer of your substrate, I would not use potting soil. Potting soil may compress and turn to mud in a vivarium. Most people are using Bed A Beast and Orchid Bark for the top layer of substrate.

As for frogs drowning, I have kept 5 frogs in my tank with a substantial water section and have not lost any.

Tim
Thanks Tim,
Now I am definitely doing a small water section in my 10gal. When you said people are using both bed a beast and orchid bark is mixed or layered?

·
Registered
141 Posts
wei said:
I just read a post about how some frogs will drown themselves in a body of water. How often does this happen? Will my waterfall into a pool of water be a bad idea?

I have to get rid of the waterfall whats another economical way to keep the humidity high?

Now I know that I am brand new, and have never owned any frogs myself (yet) but from what I have read, and from what the guy at Cold Blooded Pets told me:

The frogs that are found dead in the water aren't necessarily dead becuase they drowned. They tend to be dead from other reasons (disease) or perhaps overheating/dehydration (having gone in the water to cool off)

I'm no expert, but that is the info I've gathered.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
My E. tricolor can swim. In fact, they will dive UNDER the false bottom and stay there until the coast is clear. Even stranger, if they still feel threatened, they will only go to the top for air, then dive back under, like clawed frogs do! :shock:

A reason why some (including me) fear drowning is because these frogs can be pretty aggressive towards each other, and there is an old myth that tincs can drown each other in a fight.

If I were you, I'd take your 10 gallon to an aquarium shop and get it drilled. You're going to have a real problem trying to keep the pump clear of debris. Another way is to use a glass divider like one uses for firebellied toads.

Drilled tanks make water changes much easier and hide unsightly plumbing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts