Dendroboard banner

Your decision will be a major deciding factor....

• Oophaga Pumilio "boca colubre"

• Dendrobates auratus "blue green"

• Dendrobates tinctorius "citronella"

• Phyllobates terriblis "orange"

• Dendrobates leucomela "fine spot"

• Dendrobates leucomela "guyana"

• Adelphobates galactonotus "orange"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing months and months of research on several Dendrobates and Oophaga species. I'm just having a hard time whittling down the species to the one I would like to keep and ultimately breed. Galactonotus really peaked my interest but they're quite expensive. I'm leaning toward leucs. Anyways, here is my list:
Oophaga pumilio "boca colubre"
Dendrobates auratus "columbian blue green"
Dendrobates tinctorius azureus
Dendrobates tinctorius "Citronella"
Phyllobates terribilis "orange"
Dendrobates leucomela "fine spot"
Dendrobates leucomela "guyana"
Adelphobates galactonotus "orange"
Any insite would be much appreciated. I have the means to care for any of these species. What would really sway my decision is price of frogs, the more expensive the better. I plan on selling the froglets to fund the upkeep of the other frogs, and possibly get a little extra money for expansion as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The price of the frog is dictated in many respects by the difficulty in breeding the type. I wouldn’t approach this with ‘which one will make me the most money’ but ‘which one attracts me to care for it for the next 15-20 years’. Would suggest starting with a beginner-friendly species until you have the experience built up to be able to work with one of the more delicate species.

Leucomelas are a great little frog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The price of the frog is dictated in many respects by the difficulty in breeding the type. I wouldn’t approach this with ‘which one will make me the most money’ but ‘which one attracts me to care for it for the next 15-20 years’. Would suggest starting with a beginner-friendly species until you have the experience built up to be able to work with one of the more delicate species.

Leucomelas are a great little frog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I was definitely considering leucs.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
523 Posts
Thanks! I was definitely considering leucs.
I voted “Fine Spot” as IMO, look a bit better then “Guyana”. That doesn’t mean Guyana is bad however, as there is really no morph or species of darts I dislike. Either one honestly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I voted “Fine Spot” as IMO, look a bit better then “Guyana”. That doesn’t mean Guyana is bad however, as there is really no morph or species of darts I dislike. Either one honestly.
See, I'm actually the opposite. The whole point of the poll was to see what was most popular though. I'm considering starting a business breeding and selling dart frogs, but you gotta start somewhere lol.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
523 Posts
See, I'm actually the opposite. The whole point of the poll was to see what was most popular though. I'm considering starting a business breeding and selling dart frogs, but you gotta start somewhere lol.
Fine Spot might be more popular. I don’t have statistics so I’ll be quiet.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think they're all beautiful. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding lol. Leucs do seem pretty easy to breed which has definitely been a deciding factor.
If you want something to breed, maybe E. Anthonyi. (Maybe not...

you’d get like 100 tads in a month!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.